Windows XP DOS/xp problems

Reaction score
A DOS programme I use has started to go extremely slowly - like the system is frozen. Have to sit and wait till it will act on the keystrokes. I run it on a notebook under xp prof and a desktop under xp home. The desktop is a new, clear install, after a HD crash, but the notebook is unchanged. The only thing I can think of is that a recent windows update is causing the problem. Has anyone had a similar issue? My windows updates are all up to date and the programme is an accounting package, there is no online aspect. This is driving me crazy, I don't like sitting twiddling my thumbs. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
HVMacca said:
A DOS programme I use has started to go extremely slowly - like the system is frozen. Have to sit and wait till it will act on the keystrokes. I run it on a notebook under xp prof and a desktop under xp home. The desktop is a new, clear install, after a HD crash, but the notebook is unchanged. The only thing I can think of is that a recent windows update is causing the problem. Has anyone had a similar issue? My windows updates are all up to date and the programme is an accounting package, there is no online aspect. This is driving me crazy, I don't like sitting twiddling my thumbs. Thanks in advance.

you could try dos box for that programme.

see what running in the background.

Reaction score
michael555 said:
you could try dos box for that programme.

see what running in the background.
I've seen dosbox suggested elsewhere - but I thought it was for games. I've downloaded it and will try and work out whether it will be suitable. But why would xp performance of my dos prog have changed?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
XP never had DOS as it was.

XP's native "File Allocation Table" is NTFS ... DOS was just plain FAT ... Win 95 (second edition ;) ), Win 98 & ME supported FAT32

Take a peek at ...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/314106

... see if any of that helps.

What "DOS" program are you having a problem with?

:user:

Reaction score
Thanks for your suggestion, I'll have to spend time on this next week, some urgent stuff to do today. That MS article is from 2005, so shouldn't be relevant. The programme (Accpac) has always worked in w95 compatibility mode. It still actually works, just takes forever every few seconds to respond. It first happened in the notebook - it's on another computer that I don't think has a problem but it might not be updating windows all the time - I'll have to check. Just thought of something - the difference between the machines is that these two run AVG antivirus, the other one is still on NAV, as the licence hasn't run out. Could be a conflict?

Ask a Question