DON'T WE HAVE ENOUGH PROBLEMS IN THE WORLD??

RATHER,ABOUT WORRYING HOW BIG SOMEONE TYPES??WHO GIVES A RATS ASS?? WE ARE
HERE TO HELP EACH OTHER..NOT TO RIDICULE THEM..IF TYPING THIS BIG HELPS ME
READ BETTER THEN SO BE IT! WHY DON'T THE COMPLAINERS GO OVER TO IRAQ AND
COMPLAIN,OR THE WHITE HOUSE,BUT GUESS WHAT? IT WON'T DO ANY GOOD THERE EITHER
SO GET OVER IT!!THE PROBLEM STILL REMAINS I NEED HELP WITH LOCATING THE
XPRT4.DLL,MFC71.DLL..SO IF YOU CAN HELP ME FINE..IF I CAN HELP YOU THAT'S
EVEN BETTER,BUT IF ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS COMPLAIN HOW BIG I TYPE.CLOSE YOUR
"PIE HOLES" AND GET OVER IT!

GEEEEEEESHHHHH!!!

kurttrail

bobcat1 said:
RATHER,ABOUT WORRYING HOW BIG SOMEONE TYPES??WHO GIVES A RATS ASS??
WE ARE HERE TO HELP EACH OTHER..NOT TO RIDICULE THEM..IF TYPING THIS
BIG HELPS ME READ BETTER THEN SO BE IT! WHY DON'T THE COMPLAINERS GO
OVER TO IRAQ AND COMPLAIN,OR THE WHITE HOUSE,BUT GUESS WHAT? IT WON'T
DO ANY GOOD THERE EITHER SO GET OVER IT!!THE PROBLEM STILL REMAINS I
NEED HELP WITH LOCATING THE XPRT4.DLL,MFC71.DLL..SO IF YOU CAN HELP
ME FINE..IF I CAN HELP YOU THAT'S EVEN BETTER,BUT IF ALL YOU WANT TO
DO IS COMPLAIN HOW BIG I TYPE.CLOSE YOUR "PIE HOLES" AND GET OVER IT!

GEEEEEEESHHHHH!!!

Your caps lock seem to be stuck. If you cannot unstick it, then you
will need a new keyboard. hth!

--
Peace!
Kurt

Jon

Yes, you're absolutely right. Compared to the problems in Iraq, worrying
about little dll files suddenly seems very very trivial.

However, if it's part of your grand scheme to rid the world of all its
problems, you could try clicking the search button on your start menu, and
entering the filenames.

Jon

Pegasus \(MVP\)

bobcat1 said:
RATHER,ABOUT WORRYING HOW BIG SOMEONE TYPES??WHO GIVES A RATS ASS?? WE ARE
HERE TO HELP EACH OTHER..NOT TO RIDICULE THEM..IF TYPING THIS BIG HELPS ME
READ BETTER THEN SO BE IT! WHY DON'T THE COMPLAINERS GO OVER TO IRAQ AND
COMPLAIN,OR THE WHITE HOUSE,BUT GUESS WHAT? IT WON'T DO ANY GOOD THERE EITHER
SO GET OVER IT!!THE PROBLEM STILL REMAINS I NEED HELP WITH LOCATING THE
XPRT4.DLL,MFC71.DLL..SO IF YOU CAN HELP ME FINE..IF I CAN HELP YOU THAT'S
EVEN BETTER,BUT IF ALL YOU WANT TO DO IS COMPLAIN HOW BIG I TYPE.CLOSE YOUR
"PIE HOLES" AND GET OVER IT!

GEEEEEEESHHHHH!!!

As you have found out since your first post, newsgroups have
certain basic "agreements", much like the agreements that
govern a conversation with a stranger. One of them is that one
does not "shout" at a stranger. It tends to send the wrong message.
Another rule is to remember one's place. When I post one of
my own problems then I remain aware that I'm asking strangers
to share their knowledge with me, free of charge. I adopt their
style because I depend on their good will, and I never abuse
them even though I may not always agree with them.

Adopting these rules tends to get results. Ignoring them
attracts ridicule.

echy

Pegasus said:
As you have found out since your first post, newsgroups have
certain basic "agreements", much like the agreements that
govern a conversation with a stranger. One of them is that one
does not "shout" at a stranger. It tends to send the wrong message.
Another rule is to remember one's place. When I post one of
my own problems then I remain aware that I'm asking strangers
to share their knowledge with me, free of charge. I adopt their
style because I depend on their good will, and I never abuse
them even though I may not always agree with them.

Adopting these rules tends to get results. Ignoring them
attracts ridicule.

Very well said if I may say so.

Regards
Echy
Australia

Yves Leclerc

Newsgroups are here in order to try to help people out. Since it has been
accepted that posting in all capitol letter is considered to be "SHOUTING",
you should ask yourself one question: How do I like it to be "shouted"
at???

Rctfreak

RATHER,ABOUT WORRYING HOW BIG SOMEONE TYPES??WHO GIVES A RATS ASS??

Why? Because all caps posts are difficult to read. You think they are
easier to read but they are not.

Many people will simply go on and not even bother to read an all caps
post. So you end up not getting any responses other than to turn off
your caps lock key.

You would be better served by using a larger font setting in your news
reader or operating system, or by going to an eye doctor and getting
the appropriate treatment for your vison.

I think you comments show a little agression but as far as the LARGE TYPE, I
fully agree with you.
I find it easier to read as well and am not a typist nor did I take typing
nor did I sign a rule book that said I wasn't allowed to use my Caps key,
when I wanted to and it amuses me as well that some will refer to it as
"Screaming" or as "Shouting" how insane can one get?. I think they need to
take a few Aspirins and not worry about it. There is NO RULE BOOK on typing
ethics and if there was, I would TYPE THE WAY I DAMN WELL FEEL LIKE IT.
As far as the rest of your comments, calm DOWN, PEOPLE HERE ARE VERY
HELPFUL AND HAVE HELPED ME MANY TIMES. SO DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT. LET THEM KNOW
YOU PREFER TO TYPE IN LARGE PRINT FOR EASE OF READING AND THOSE WHO DON'T
LIKE IT CAN RESPOND TO OTHER POSTS. BE CORDIAL AND YOU WILL GET RESULTS.
GOOD LUCK
SOME OF THESE NERDS HAVE EVEN WRITTEN A NEW LANGUAGE ON THE NET AND IF
THAT FLOATS THIER BOAT, GREAT, I AM A MEMEBER OF ANOTHER GROUP.... DILLIGAF

Matt

as far as the LARGE TYPE, I fully agree with you.
I find it easier to read as well

Excerpts from a study titled "Effects of Email Format and Instructions on
Reading Times, Content Retention, and Reader Preference"
(http://hubel.sfasu.edu/courseinfo/SL03/email_study.htm):

The shape of a lower case word provides significant clues to the reader as
to its identity, whereas a word in all capital letters has a destroyed shape
(no ascenders or descenders), so the word appears to be rectangular
(Williams, 2000). When unable to use previous experience and knowledge of
word shapes, reading time slows as a result of slowed processing. Upper case
type is read about 13 percent slower than lowercase type (Tinker, 1955 as
cited in Williams).

Additional problems arise when reading text presented in exclusively capital
letters due to the amount of similarity between these letters... ...Their
study showed more effort was required to decipher the differences between
two capital letters, because they are more similar to each other (have fewer
distinguishing features).
Finally, upper case letters are simply larger than the corresponding
lowercase letters. With each eye fixation, a limited amount of material can
be resolved, recognized, and used to guide the reading process. Letter
distinctions can be made for four to six letters from the fixation point,
but seven to fourteen letters away could be useful for planning the next eye
movement, or saccade (McConkie & Rayner, 1975 as cited in Bailey et al.,
2003). Thus, the size of the text can influence the efficiency with which
the visual system combines previous information with current information and
plans to incorporate new information by controlling eye movements.
Interruption of this process with the introduction of difficult-to-read text
may influence the frequency of eye movements and could ultimately affect
reading speed.

And from http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/courtesy1.html :

Below are the online basics you need to minimally become familiar with in
order to be taken seriously in your online communications.

1.. Do not type in all caps. Typing in all caps is considered yelling or
screaming online. Those who type in all caps are perceived as lazy and not
being considerate of those who will have to read their e-mail. Various
studies on the topic reflect that it is more difficult and takes longer to
read text that is typed in all caps. And for those who question "What
studies?" here is one example for your reading pleasure:

http://www.psych.utoronto.ca/~muter/pmuter1.htm
Searching for words is faster with uppercase characters, but reading of
continuous text is slower (Vartabedian, 1971), perhaps because interline
masking is greater with uppercase (Nes, 1986). In addition, lowercase
enhances reading efficiency because word shape is helpful in word
recognition (Rudnicky & Kolers, 1984).

One is free, at their convenience, to review the entire document above
which goes into detail about how eyes react to what they have to read based
on how the content is presented.

Stating certain professions are required to type in all caps (that's the
first time I've heard that one) does not jive either. Would you send any
off-line communications in all caps - the answer is probably no.
NOTE: It should go without saying, however, since I was chastised for not
saying so, this rule certainly doesn't apply to the vision impaired or to
those who are disabled or handicapped and cannot use the shift key. However,
since typing in all caps is considered yelling online, it would behoove
those who do so because of these reasons to take the time to include a brief
note why they are typing in caps so that their e-mails and intent are not
misinterpreted.

Matt,

I have taken Power Reading Courses and was able to go from 280 to over 1100
wpm. I am aware of what some opions are about type, but Matt, I am 54 now and
my eyes aren't what they use to be. I use to be a Professional Shooter and
now can't see the front site. Computer screens have a whole different affect
because of the light and glare than a book. So... you can cut and paste from
now till Hell freezes over, Caps help me to read better on a computer screen
and I still agree with Bobcat1. Now you have heard MY opinion versus your
excerpts from some other ,probably Young person about email.. Who cares? as I
said I belong to DILLIGAF No body else's opinion will interupt what I know to
be a FACT about myself. So keep cutting and pasting, it means NOTHING...
that is NOT a Yell or a Shout but an Emphasis, do you believe in them? LOL or
is it lol or is it Lol or maybe LoL, who cares? read the content and forget
the fonts or the caps.

To each their own... different Strokes for different folks....

Your cut and paste refers to Various studies yet doesn't wquote a single
one.. hmmm
ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWZYZ
abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
illionois ill ILL ILLIONOIS hmmm I have less problem with the caps and
the part about letter confusion among CAPS is HOGWASH, that is more so with
lowercase. You have it bassackwards. or for clarity BASSACKWARDS

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

You seem to be confusing larger print with upper case, they are not the
same.
You can control the size of what you read on your computer without making it
more difficult on others.
On the other hand, those using ALL CAPS make it more difficult for others to
read.
If your goal is fewer answers and possibly missing the best answer, by all
means use ALL CAPS as many potential helpers will skip over and devote their
time to posters observing the etiquette.

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

You seem to be confusing larger print with upper case, they are not the
same.
You can control the size of what you read on your computer without making it
more difficult on others.
On the other hand, those using ALL CAPS make it more difficult for others to
read.
If your goal is fewer answers and possibly missing the best answer, by all
means use ALL CAPS as many potential helpers will skip over and devote their
time to posters observing the etiquette.

"LEARNING HOW TO COMPUTE ONE STEP AT A TIME!"
A very good place to start is etiquette.

Leythos

I am aware of what some opions are about type, but Matt, I am 54 now and
my eyes aren't what they use to be.

Craig,

While it's standard to use proper type case, and you are welcome to use
any case you want, many people will not provide help and even stop
reading all upper case posts. I personally don't read them or help as
the person is typically beyond help - meaning they didn't think enough
to see how others are doing it, most time have not read anything in the
group, and are mostly impossible to help without holding their hand.

So, even beyond the case issue, you have the fact that many people won't
take the time to read a all-caps post.

As a older shooter myself, still have most of my eye-sight, and still
shooting, I would suggest that you get a larger screen or increase your
screen font sizes to make your reading easier.

Jone Doe

And would you walk into someone's house, sit in their chair and put your
feet up on their coffee table? That's essentially what you are doing here,
coming into our house with some rules in place and basically saying "Screw
you and your rules, I'll do as I damn please." Well, so be it, but if you
want any help I doubt you will get it with that attitude. A lot of us give
a rats all, and you can
... well, fill in whatever you'd like here...

Jone Doe

That's a bunch of BS and you know it. If the OP has a problem seeing small
type, he can set it up ON HIS END to see it larger, he doesn't have to make
the rest of us put up with his preferred style. Whether or not you signed a
rule book, you are a guest in our house and therefore can follow our rules
or be, at the very least, ignored if not flamed.

Uncle Joe

This is a free country and you have the right to type your
messages in uppercase; to be surly and aggressive towards
those who would otherwise provide you support; and to
be a lame-brain who mystifying equates the War in Iraq
to uppercase key strokes. You need a serious reality check.

You need to quit learning computing one step at time, and
return to your previous method of sending mesages: using
a rock chisel in your cave to carve uppercase text in mud
tablets.

My resolution is to "killfile" you. From now on, you and
your uppertext messgaes are out of my life. Good for me!

Alias

Craig said:
Matt,

I have taken Power Reading Courses and was able to go from 280 to over 1100
wpm. I am aware of what some opions are about type, but Matt, I am 54 now and
my eyes aren't what they use to be.

I'm five years your senior and I use reading glasses. You should do the
same if you want any helpful replies to your posts.

Alias

Leythos,

I belonged to the State Rifle Team that was UNDEFEATED for Eight straight
years, at ALL levels of Comp.
So you say I can BUY a Bigger screen or I can go and change fontys or
what have you? Something else I can do FASTER and CHeaper.. HIT THE CAPS KEY.
I have been in computers since 1976, have worked with every level of DOS
from 2.1 thru 6.2, I worked with all levels of Windows 3.0 and up, I worked
with TRS-DOS and I have been on the Internet since about 1986. I have never
seen any rules that said I COULD NOT USE CAPS. So if that is your peeve to
ignore people who do, Fine.. no loss.
I will use what I want when I want, with or without your blessings and I
will do so without the loss of any sleep. IT is totally Insane to think a
person is SHOUTING when using Caps. Geez! Get a Life. With all the things
you could be writting about or helping to change, you seem to be Hell bent on
stopping people from using the dang CAPS key. Good God, man has the world
gone that crazy? LOL

You know I think I am lost in a Liberal Jungle here.. Have you noticed me
using CAPS? I agree with batman. and after almost 20 years on the Internet,
I have NEVER been offended by anyone using CAPS,I have never seen any Rules,
other than OPINIONs about caps and you people are carrying on as if someone
just farted in Church... damn, guy, if that is all it takes to offend you,
you need to get a better life or start drinking more.

--
I Have forgotten so much of what I once knew.
"A Stranger is a Friend you haven''t met yet."

http://www3.telus.net/dandemar
http://www.dts-l.org