Don't buy anything with Sony software!

Me__2001

Internet Junkie
Reaction score
ok so we all know about sony using rootkit on their CD's but what about all the other software they have ?

just before my sister went to Oz she got one of those new MP3 players from Sony, its great has good sound, 6GB of storage, 20 Hr battery life etc the thing only works with the supplied software which is a pain to make all the playlists again and change all of the file associations back which i didn't mind to much

the thing im really Pi**ed about and just noticed after doing a check of the firewall logs (i do this every so often to check for dodgy connections) i found it connects to two different sony servers, one when you open it which i assume is for the sony shop that you can browse and the second when you close it which im gonna assume is for them to get info about your system!!
icon_bicker.gif

i have now dealt with the poblem by blocking the IP in NIS but i shouldn't have to worry about their software making secret connections (i have read the license agreement and there is no mention of it) possibly sending information about my system for them to look at !! so from now on i refuse to buy anything from Sony

anyone else not like Sony anymore ?

Reaction score
ive havnt liked sony for ages - all their products are so expensive now its stupid

still prefer sony to microsoft though

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
That rootkit stuff on audio CD's has put me off Sony for life.

This is just another nail in their coffin as far as I'm concerned.

Already in the last few weeks, browsing for computer parts, I'm discarding anything Sony make in favour of another brand.

Was considering a PSP as well, now seeking an alternative.

Reaction score
omg! i went into my local sony shop! the prices are HUGE! argh i thought we could afford a new tv and wanted a good one - im gonna go panasonic methinks

oh yeah what happned about rootkit? can anyone press charges or anything?

Ask a Question