Sony's Terrible Customer Service

Reaction score
Hey,

Just thought i would start a thread to warn people who are thinking about buying Sony Vaio laptops. The customer service if something goes wrong is AWFUL!! My CD ROM/DVD is broken and they refuse to fix it. It wont read anything and makes a loud whirring noise so is totally knackered. I had some irish women on the phone saying that because i was in australia this "world wide" company could not have it repaired. But i was welcome to post it to them in england. She also refused to give me the customer complaints address. I was then put onto a supervisor who was worse than useless, although i did manage to get the complaints address from her. The best she could come up with was that i could purchase the worldwide warranty. I asked if i could have it fixed here and sony to pick the cost up, but she said they couldnt repair it here because sony europe and sony australia use different parts. SO WHATS THE POINT IN THE WORLDWIDE WARRANTY THEN!!!!

Anyway, i dont want to rant and bore you all, but i just thought i would warn you. And here are a couple of links to other people that have had equally bad service...............

http://www.complaints.com/directory/2004/september/21/1.htm

http://www.petitiononline.com/sonymem1/petition.html

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I sympathise with you mate - alot of companies do this to discourage people from buying cheaper from other countries :mad:
To be fair often the specs and components are slightly different in other countries - I assume the extra cost of the worldwide warranty covers the cost of sending it back to europe for repair :rolleyes:

Theres never an excuse for poor customer service attitude though.....

Last edited:

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Is it still under guarantee Bodhi??

Do you want us to get Customer Services address/tel no etc..... for you??

Really sorry....

Gabs xx

Reaction score
Hey gabs,

Yeah, its still under warranty, bought it in april, and it actually broke only 12 weeks after i bought it!! I have some addresses, i wrote to customer service and they are the ones that wont do anything. Ive got the complaints department but i doubt they will give me any joy either. They are just a bunch of chancers. Sony is a worldwide company, i bought a laptop which is a portable device yet they wont have it fixed. Its not like im in some remote african village, im in sydney, one of the worlds biggest citys!!

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
Really sorry to hear that - don't suppose an email to Trading Standards would be any use?? Is it worth a try??

Gabs xx

Reaction score
Im not sure, i think they probably have the right to not fix it because of the country situation, there is probably something in the small print of their warranty or something. But as i said in my letter to them, if they didnt have a legal obligation to fix it, surely as a goodwill gesture they should fix it, sucks that an expensive laptop can break after 12 weeks and they can just go "well, you took your laptop too far away!!" :)

gabriella

Sunflower Queen
Reaction score
This may be a bit of a long shot Bodhi but in previous threads relating to companies who have gone/are going out of business we have had posters who appear to have a grasp of the law and what is and isn't reasonable/possible to expect.

Anyone out there who can offer some further thoughts on this situation from a legal perspective?????

Love

Gabs xx

Ask a Question