Domain Controller could not be contacted

G

I had a machine drop off the network and now it doesn't see the domain. From the client machine, I removed it from the domian and tried to rejoin the domain and I get the error msg. Domain Controller could not be contacted

Thank you!

M

Michael Johnston [MSFT]

More details would be appropriate. Check the basics. If this is a Windows 2000 or 2003 domain, make sure that the machine
only points to DNS servers that host the DNS zone for the AD zone. If this is a NT4 domain, make sure that the client is
configured with an appropriate WINS server and that netbios over TCP/IP is set to enabled. Lastly, verify that no firewall
software has been installed on this machine.

If none of this helps, please provide:
client OS version
server OS version
network info(protocols, IP addresses) etc.
Event log error messages.

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
Microsoft Network Support
--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the
terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from
which they originated.

G

This is a Windows 2000 domain. Client is pointing to 192.168.0.2 for DNS as appropriate. I had the DNS guys verify my DNS settings. Client OS is WinXP. Server is Windows 2000 SP 4. Using DHCP over TCP/IP. No WINS necessary. All clients running XP. Affected machine is not obtaining I.P. address nor can I force one to gain network access. I have put this machine on another network connection and it works. I have also verified the network cabling and everything is fine. Also, this machine is on a network with 10+ other machines. This is the only one with a problem. No firewall software or settings have been changed/installed. No error event log has been created. You can search by author to see what I've been up to. I had a recent change in my domain if this means anything. Could this be a license issue? I was receiving a license error log. I have since turned off the License Service because I do have enough licenses and read I could just turn it off

Zac

G

----- The Zack wrote: ----

This is a Windows 2000 domain. Client is pointing to 192.168.0.2 for DNS as appropriate. I had the DNS guys verify my DNS settings. Client OS is WinXP. Server is Windows 2000 SP 4. Using DHCP over TCP/IP. No WINS necessary. All clients running XP. Affected machine is not obtaining I.P. address nor can I force one to gain network access. I have put this machine on another network connection and it works. I have also verified the network cabling and everything is fine. Also, this machine is on a network with 10+ other machines. This is the only one with a problem. No firewall software or settings have been changed/installed. No error event log has been created. You can search by author to see what I've been up to. I had a recent change in my domain if this means anything. Could this be a license issue? I was receiving a license error log. I have since turned off the License Service because I do have enough licenses and read I could just turn it off

Zac

Also, when I try to rejoin this machine to the domain, it get the following detailed error: (This is a partial

The query was for SRV record _ldap._tcp.dc._msdcs.daeoffic
DNS not responding

I cannot ping anything on the network nor force an i.p. address

Any ideas

Zack

G

I figured out my problem. For some reason the network no longer liked my RJ45 pinouts on the cables I was making. Turned out I had to change them to 568A from a different configuration I was using. Now, all is fine. Very strange thou. It was working one day, and then not the next

Thanks for your input

Zack

J

John Huang

Since you can not force an IP address. It wont' be lincense problem. It is
a hardware problem with NIC card. Or check if you have force the link speed
to auto, but the switch/hub can only take 10M link speed.

Hope it help.

The Zack said:
This is a Windows 2000 domain. Client is pointing to 192.168.0.2 for DNS
as appropriate. I had the DNS guys verify my DNS settings. Client OS is
WinXP. Server is Windows 2000 SP 4. Using DHCP over TCP/IP. No WINS
necessary. All clients running XP. Affected machine is not obtaining I.P.
address nor can I force one to gain network access. I have put this machine
on another network connection and it works. I have also verified the
network cabling and everything is fine. Also, this machine is on a network
with 10+ other machines. This is the only one with a problem. No firewall
software or settings have been changed/installed. No error event log has
been created. You can search by author to see what I've been up to. I had
a recent change in my domain if this means anything. Could this be a
license issue? I was receiving a license error log. I have since turned
off the License Service because I do have enough licenses and read I could
just turn it off.

Ask a Question