Domain Controller/Active Directory

G

I have an Exchange 2000 Server, which is a domain controller and active directory. Now, I have two servers that have to be put in their own domain on the same network with my Exchange 2000 Server. Now, I will have two domains on the same network. One of my co-workers who has more knowledge about Windows 2000 Server than me said that if you do that the two domain controllers will automatically replicate between each other. I do not want that. How do I prevent the Exchange 2000 Server (domain controller) from replicating to my domain controller and vice versa? Thank You

S

S.J.Haribabu

Hi Paul,

what is the ROLE of the additional server you are going to add with the
existing domain. Example - Additional domain controller / Child domain
controller / Member server.
If you dont want any synchronization with main domain controller to be
happen, then add those servers as member server for the existing domain.

If you add as Additional domain controller for the existing domain then it
would start replicate with the main domain controller.

Thanks,

(e-mail address removed)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

G

There will be two domains on the same physical network. Each domain will have a domain controller. However, I do not want the two domain controllers from each domain to replicate between each other. Therefore, how do I prevent that from happening

Thank
pau

S

Steven L Umbach

Two domain controllers within the same domain have to replicate wither each other. If
you want two totally unrelated domains that will not replicate anything via Global
Catalog, etc then create your domains in separate forests. --- Steve

Paul said:
I have an Exchange 2000 Server, which is a domain controller and active directory.
Now, I have two servers that have to be put in their own domain on the same network
with my Exchange 2000 Server. Now, I will have two domains on the same network. One
of my co-workers who has more knowledge about Windows 2000 Server than me said that
if you do that the two domain controllers will automatically replicate between each
other. I do not want that. How do I prevent the Exchange 2000 Server (domain
controller) from replicating to my domain controller and vice versa? Thank You

S

S.J.Haribabu

Hi Paul,

To answer your question, i need quick details about your network. I would
appreciate if I can get the details for the below mentioned questions.
Those two domains are in the same or different forest?
Those two domains are in the same tree (parent domain / child domain) or
different tree?
Those two domains are in the same subnet or different?

Thanks,

(e-mail address removed)

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Ask a Question