Doesnt Boot up - i get this message

Shirl

Hi

On another computer here
using Windows XP
It does not boot up I get the blue screen that says

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
STOP: 0X000000ED (OX82B80DB8, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Any way to make it boot up again?

doesnt boot up in any mode, i tried normal and safe mode.

thanks
Shirl

This blue screen you get is commonly referred to as the fatal "blue screen of
death" in the computer world. Your only hope of fixing it is to restore your
computer using the restore c.d. or a new copy of Windows, whichever you may
have. To do that you must go into BIOS(computer settings), usually known as
SETUP, and select the boot order to boot from CD first. My suggestion is
setting the boot order to 1.CD, 2. Floppy Disk, 3. Hard Drive, so on...

The "unmountable_boot_volume" error means that whatever your computer is
using to boot with is unbootable, usually a hard drive.

db

what you can do is to
run the following commands
at the prompt

chkdsk /f

fixboot

fixmbr

to get to the command prompt
you need to boot up with an emergency
boot disk or use your windows cd recovery
console....

Hi

On another computer here
using Windows XP
It does not boot up I get the blue screen that says

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
STOP: 0X000000ED (OX82B80DB8, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Any way to make it boot up again?

doesnt boot up in any mode, i tried normal and safe mode.

thanks
Shirl

Shirl

OK thanks

After I did chkdsk and fixboot it loaded up.

Is there something i can replace or change to stop if happening again?
When it did the blue screen error i notice it stopped at a file called agpcpq.sys

Its a friends computer i got here she wanted me to look at, i removed a couple of trojans and adware/spyware, that probably caused the problem in the first place.

thanks
shirl

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message what you can do is to
run the following commands
at the prompt

chkdsk /f

fixboot

fixmbr

to get to the command prompt
you need to boot up with an emergency
boot disk or use your windows cd recovery
console....

Hi

On another computer here
using Windows XP
It does not boot up I get the blue screen that says

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
STOP: 0X000000ED (OX82B80DB8, 0XC0000006, 0X00000000, 0X00000000)

Any way to make it boot up again?

doesnt boot up in any mode, i tried normal and safe mode.

thanks
Shirl

db

it seems the bios
requires an updated
version of that file.

here is some read
on the subject:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic21511.html

[...]

Great thanks
It was version A02 and i went on Dells Website and the newest is A09
so i put that on, see if that cures it.

Also on my computer im using i run Xoftspy Spyware/adware remover and i get up what they class as maybe a threat, but in the details says some things use it. The 30 entries listed are all to do with winpcap.

I dont want to remove it if i use it.

I run a small network here of 3 computers on a router.

Is it a threat? or something i need?

Ill add it to ignore list if i need it for the network.

Shirl

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message it seems the bios
[...]

well, it depends on it's
definition of a "threat" but
i do understand your concern.
some threats are considered
likely if the anti viral does not
have a clear definition or recognize
those files.

there are 2 methods i would use
to confirm or deny the threat.

the first method would be to
block that threat and see the
affects on your system. if it appears
there is no degredation with your
system, then the blocked files are
not needed.

however, be sure to make a
backup or a restore point
of your system before trying this
method. that way if the anti spyware
cannot reverse the blocking if the files
were valid for your system,
then you can restore the system.

also to be considered is that if
the blocked files were malicious
and not needed by your system,
then they may have been included
in your previous backups.

clearly, a little plannng of the
above is required to prove or
disprove the validity of the threat.

the second method is simply
add additional anti spywares to
your arsenal. all anti virals are
designed a bit differently and
have different criterion for analyzing
and determining the validity
of files.

what i would surely use is
microsoft's one care. another
good program is called spybot.

i would suggest to do a clean
sweep of your system with each
of the above.

having an aresenal will prove useful
in defending your systems as
much as possible.

there is never a 100% assurance
that your systems won't become
contaminated. and there is no
one software that can provide a 100%
defense against attack.

there will always be a genuis out there who
has developed a new way to beat
the system; leaving the anti virals
manufacturers with egg on their faces.

however with vigilence and having
a variety of tools available
at your disposal and your understanding
of these programs and your system,
you will have an advantage.

above all "know thy system" like
the back of your hand. that way if the
system hiccups, it should instantly
raise a red flag for you.

[...]

here is a link with a description
of the file you mentioned:

http://search.live.com/results.aspx?q=winpcap&src=IE-SearchBox

it seems that your anti viral may not
recognize the file but the file appears
to be a valid one.....

i only took a quick glance, but
you may want to look into a bit further.

if you believe the file is genuine, then
you might want to program your anti viral
and designate the winpcap file as "safe"....

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message well, it depends on it's
[...]

Reading those links ill probably put it on ignore, seems like its something to do with networks and ethernet.

thanks
shirl

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message here is a link with a description
[...]

you're welcome.

the file is specifically designed
to collect data at a low level.
that is why the spyware raised
a red flag. further it seems that
it is not a necessary file
requird by the o.s. thus the red
flag.

so, the question is who
or what installed it and how
is the data being utilized?

it seems the o.s. doesn't need
this collection of data to function.
therefore, the data is being used
by someone or another program.
and it may actually be causing some
degredation in performance, since it
is intercepting data.

it might be prudent to find
out how it got on
the system, since it is not
a microsoft file.

it could have
been inadverdently installed or
it could have piggy backed another
program or intentionally installed.

see what the microsoft antispyware
tells you.
[...]

i thought this would
be of interest to you.

while cleaning my registry,
i discovered a key belonging
to winpcap.

i then followed the target and
i had a folder called winpcap
in program files.

for my system, i know that i
don't need those files. i may
have downloaded during a time
i was trying to resolve a router
issue. but the tool was not helpful.

so i went ahead and initiated
the uninstall file in its folder
a moment ago.

you might want to see if a
similar folder exists in
program files as well.

hopefully this information
may be of some use for you
as well.

"db" <databaseben.discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message you're welcome.

[...]

I get the same message. I've made it to the recovery console, but when I
type in the chkdsk command, I get the message 'autochk.exe not found.' I've
done a search on that name, but couldn't find any thing. Any suggestions?

Ronaldo

chkdsk /f, fixboot or fixmbr.. and/or download a bootdisk from
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm and save the files included in the zip
folder to a floppy disk and start the computer with the floppy in the drive.
Also check if the BIOS can detect the HD or select Detect drives, save and
exit. To enter the BIOS check the instructions in:
http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/bios_manufacturer.htm

Actually - there was a very simple solution. I found the autochk.exe on
another computer, copied that to a CD. Then, when I ran chkdsk, and it asked
me for the autochk.exe, I pointed to the CD drive, and the chkdsk ran! I can
now boot up my computer to where I was before I received the unmountable boot
volume. Thanks for your help!!