Does "the" blaster security update work or not?

G

George Hester

Got this from Microsoft:

"Released December 31, 2003, this tool helps remove the Blaster worm from Microsoft Windows XP and Windows 2000-based machines infected with Blaster and patched with the previous Blaster security update."

Now I'm sorry. I thought I understood the English language and some of its nuances? But this statement from Microsoft has the nuance or implication that a Blaster removal tool may be required AFTER "Microsoft Windows XP and Windows 2000-based machines ...[are]...patched with the previous Blaster security update"

What? Am I reading this right or is this just marketing? Thanks.

E

Eric McG

I assume that you're referring to the KB833330 tool. Reading the KB article leads one to believe that many users applied the patch on infected machines, and this tool supposedly cleans this up. Here's an excerpt from the article:

---quote---
Q9: Do I need this tool if I already have the 824146 security update installed?

A9: Yes. Your computer may have been infected before you installed the 824146 security update. In this case, your computer remains infected after you install the 824146 security update. Blastcln.exe is designed to detect and remove the infection from computers that already have the 824146 security update installed.
---end quote---

Ref:
A tool is available to remove Blaster worm and Nachi worm infections from computers that are running Windows 2000 or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833330

--
Hope this helps..Reply in newsgroup only.
Eric McGillicudy

Got this from Microsoft:

"Released December 31, 2003, this tool helps remove the Blaster worm from Microsoft Windows XP and Windows 2000-based machines infected with Blaster and patched with the previous Blaster security update."

Now I'm sorry. I thought I understood the English language and some of its nuances? But this statement from Microsoft has the nuance or implication that a Blaster removal tool may be required AFTER "Microsoft Windows XP and Windows 2000-based machines ...[are]...patched with the previous Blaster security update"

G

George Hester

Thanks. No I received a Platform e-mailing from them and the statement I gave you was all it contained and I looked at it cross-eyed. Thanks for clearing that up.

--
George Hester
I assume that you're referring to the KB833330 tool. Reading the KB article leads one to believe that many users applied the patch on infected machines, and this tool supposedly cleans this up. Here's an excerpt from the article:

---quote---
Q9: Do I need this tool if I already have the 824146 security update installed?

A9: Yes. Your computer may have been infected before you installed the 824146 security update. In this case, your computer remains infected after you install the 824146 security update. Blastcln.exe is designed to detect and remove the infection from computers that already have the 824146 security update installed.
---end quote---

Ref:
A tool is available to remove Blaster worm and Nachi worm infections from computers that are running Windows 2000 or Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=833330

--
Hope this helps..Reply in newsgroup only.
Eric McGillicudy

Got this from Microsoft:

Ask a Question