Do you have a domain name?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm curious as to who here has their own domain name? (Basically a website address).

I've got iancunningham.com, which I don't really use yet, but I'll probably just use it to have my own e-mail address on it.

I know Muckshifter and Matt do too, but does anyone else?

Reaction score
gogogadgetcode.co.uk
gogogadgetcode.com

Haven't actually put anything up yet though .. no time.. no time..

Due my other domain name taking all my time (short-media.com) :D

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Shorty said:
gogogadgetcode.co.uk
gogogadgetcode.com

Haven't actually put anything up yet though .. no time.. no time..

Due my other domain name taking all my time (short-media.com) :D
haha, thats a great domain name :D

Reaction score
sorted out postillsystems.co.uk from one&one.co.uk for the email addresses for my family as it is my dads company. No website yet as what really can you have on a page for a freelance software engineer contract blokey?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
I do not have one yet but even if I have one I am not good at designing a website nor I like html. If there was an easy way I would like to have one for my familys email address. Not sure how I go about it.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Nope, not yet. Really must have a look and see if there's anything left out there resembling my company name.

How much they cost then?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you need a hand creating one Quad I'd be glad to help! Its quite easy once you've got the hang of it :)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Thank you very much Ian. When I do decide to go for one I will get in touch with you:)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
OK, I'm confused, what's a host? Why do I need one? I have 50Mb of space with my ISP and 200Mb over at BBF, I thought that's all I would need and registering a domain name was just a legal/copyright kinda thing.

Right or wrong? Sorry, but I know absolutely nothing about this thing :(

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
OK, I'm confused, what's a host? Why do I need one? I have 50Mb of space with my ISP and 200Mb over at BBF, I thought that's all I would need and registering a domain name was just a legal/copyright kinda thing.
floppybootstomp said:

Right or wrong? Sorry, but I know absolutely nothing about this thing

ISPs don't always supply web space, though most do. I think your confusing someone allowing you space on their Host as having your own Domain Name/Host ... you need both to be independent.

www.muckshifter.co.uk is a Domain name registered to me; it is Hosted at IPB, but was registered using an independent Domain Name registration company. However, www.helpdesk-computers.co.uk is registered and hosted by IPB. I didn't know at the time they did Domain Name registrations, not all (but most do) Hosts offer domain registrations.

Now NTL, my ISP do offer web space and email address ... www.ntl.co.uk/~homepage/muchshifter/ ... doesn’t look that professional as a "proper registered site" does it? (that link is actually a made-up one) However, the email addresses, I can have 10, come in pretty handy for registering on forums ... But (e-mail address removed) is more professional, don't you think. And, I get 100 email addresses at muckshifter's & HD's site ... try emailing (e-mail address removed) I bet you get an answer. ;)

You do need a CC for these as Hosting is usually a monthly payment but Domain Name Registration can be a one-off payment.

Ian has changed Hosts on several occasions ... mainly because we need more reliability and more Bandwidth, something the average home/small office is unlikely to have to do, because of the sites continual growth.

:thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Thanks Mucks :thumb: It's becoming a little clearer. My ISP is Zen and they do handle domain registrations, would they therefore not be able to host it as well with me using the space I'm already allocated (50Mb)? Guess I'll have to ask them.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Uh, right. Must admit, it did seem a little high to me as well.

Well, when the time comes, I've saved your links, I shall shop around. Thanks again :)

Reaction score
Nope not me.. No Domain name here... Im saving up for a Conservatory..:)

However i did look at the .. Dot Com thing.... and curiosity got the better of me so i did a search for Spooky.com... Just out of interest..

lol i got this...... Well it made me Laugh anyway... Reminded me of my Punk Rock days..:)

Attachments

• Picture from Spooky somthing or Other  Dot Com.jpg
    Picture from Spooky somthing or Other Dot Com.jpg
    11.5 KB · Views: 139

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Hey Mucks, I just went through the registration process with Zen and here's their charges. Is that a bit steep?

Where could I get better?

And luckily enough, the name I was after is free, with a '.co.uk'

Attachments

• domaincash.jpg
    domaincash.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 133
Reaction score
Floppy..
£58.75.. is allot of money for a Cyber name.....

Flopps.. how does this domin thing work... If you had your own server could you not create your own??...

or is it with some big international agency thing?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Thats an interesting picture there Spooky ;)

Floppy... don't know how, but I didn't see your first post!:

I'd be quite careful where you register your domain, as some cheap £0.99/year companies actually OWN the domain name, not you. Other charge £25+/year for nothing. You should pay around £5 (£10 max) per year for a .com/.net/.org/.co.uk domain and no more. I'd suggest www.registerfly.com as a registrar, as they are cheap and have excellent domain management features (Plus $9.99=£5.50ish for most domains per year).

As mucks says, you'll need an independent host for your site. You can get some cheap hosts, but you do get what you pay for (see this article : https://www.pcreview.co.uk/article-4621.php).

With this new dedicated server, there are PLENTY or space resources, so any moderator here can have sites hosted for £0.00 :) The server comes with 160GB of disk space and 1200GB bandwith, which is HUGE! The server is quite new, so if you do want to be hosted on it, give me a week or two just to make sure it works as it should.

If you want a basic web presence (a small site and e-mail addresses), it would end up costing you about £5.50/year with free hosting and some persistence with designing a site (its pretty easy and you'll get plenty of help from here!).

Ask a Question