C

Chris Hall

Good morning,

We have two servers, SERVER1 and SERVER2. SERVER1 was the first server in a
new tree/forest. I want to add SERVER2 as a new child in an existing domain
tree. I've setup DNS on both servers (both are on different networks), each
with host/ptr records for that server. I still get the message that the
domain is not an Active Directory domain or the domain controller can not be
contacted. Are there other records that need to be added to SERVER2's DNS?

Thanks,
Chris

S

Simon Geary

You will also need an NS record on server2 for server1's domain and
vice-versa.

M

Michael Johnston [MSFT]

Chris,
On server1 make sure it points to itself for DNS only. Configure a forward lookup zone that matches that of the Active Directory name. For instance, if the AD
name is domain.com, then there needs to be a forward lookup zone in DNS called domain.com. This zone also needs to be configured to allow dynamic
updates. Once this is all set, server1 will dynamically register records in this zone. You will see the following folders once the registration has completed:
_msdcs, _sites, _tcp, _udp. To force a registration, restart the netlogon service and run "ipconfig /registerdns" at a command prompt. Lastly, configure a
delegation for the child domain that server2 will host. For illustration purposes we'll call it "child".

On server2, point it at itself only. Is DNS, configure a secondary zone of domain.com in the forward lookup zones pointing it to server1's IP as the master.
Configure a new zone called child.domain.com to hold the records for the child domain. Make sure this zone is either AD integrated or a Standard Primary
zone. Once the zone transfer from server1 is complete, and you see the domain.com records on server2, you should be able to run a DCPROMO to create the
child domain.

Thank you,
Mike Johnston
Microsoft Networking Support
--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

M

Michael Johnston [MSFT]

Actually, if you follow my instructions to properly delegate the child domain along with creating a secondary of the primary zone on the secondary server, the
NS records will already be there. No need to add any additional records.

Thank you,
Mike Johnston

--

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included script samples are subject to the terms specified at
http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Ask a Question