DNS return random incorrect query responce ie request yahoo.com and get google.com

yaardone

I just recently updated our office domain to windows 2000. There are
two offices connected via a working vpn. The TCP/IP layer is solid as
I can ping anywhere concistently. The problem is whenever a client
makes a dns request to the interent random responces come back. I've
never seen this before.

the architecture is such.

subnet 192.168.1.0/24 windows domain No.1 windows 2000 pdc
subnet 10.0.0.0/24 windows domain No.2 windows 2000 pdc.

each pdc has its respective dns and dhcp server running. Each DNS is
set up to forward queries first to the other pdc, then to both my isp's
DNS.
after some work everything seems to be working. however I am now
getting the following errors from both dns servers. (note the offending
system though random seem liekly to always be the other domain pdc.)

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: DNS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 5504
Date: 7/21/2006
Time: 3:07:52 PM
User: N/A
Computer: S3A-UPLND-PDC
The DNS server encountered an invalid domain name in a packet from
10.0.0.10. The packet is rejected.

what is more strange the servers seem to be confused and returning the
wrong ip address for queries. So I will try to go to yahoo.com and end
up and www.bizrate. I'm not even sure where to start. any help wpould
be appreciated.

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In

Date: 7/21/2006
Time: 3:07:52 PM
User: N/A
Computer: S3A-UPLND-PDC
The DNS server encountered an invalid domain name in a packet from
10.0.0.10. The packet is rejected.

what is more strange the servers seem to be confused and returning the
wrong ip address for queries. So I will try to go to yahoo.com and end
up and www.bizrate. I'm not even sure where to start. any help wpould
be appreciated.

Assuming this is a parent/child domain configuration, it is recommended,
especially in 2000, to use a delegation. In the parent DNS zone for, say
let's call your parent domain, "rootdomain.com", rt-click on rootdomain,
choose new delegation, and delegate the child zone name, let's call it
"childdomain" , to the child domain's DNS server. Then from the child DNS
server, forward to the parent. Then from the parent, forward to the ISP.

What seems to be happening is it may be getting stuck in a forwarding loop.
I';ve seen this before. Try my recommendation. It should take care of this
issue.

--
Ace
Innovative IT Concepts, Inc

confers no rights.

Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.
It's easy:

How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
"Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

The only constant in life is change...