AD and DNS

Steve

We currently have an mainly NT4 environment with 2
Windows 2000 DNS Servers. Soon we will be upgrading the
PDC to Windows 2000/Active Directory. (As a child domain
of an already existing root domain)

Currently all clients have the 2 Windows 2000 servers as
their DNS servers.

What is the ideal way to do this, carry on using the 2
Windows 2000 DNS servers as the only DNS or have some
kind of split-brain DNS setup?

Any help/suggestions would be much appreaciated

Danny Sanders

You would set up a split-brain DNS so one DNS server can handle
external/public DNS records and one to handle internal/private DNS records.

Your post does not mention any public resources.

hth
DDS W 2k MVP MCSE

José Luis Auricchio [MSFT]

| From: "Steve" <[email protected]>
| Sender: "Steve" <[email protected]>
| Subject: AD and DNS
| Date: Tue, 28 Oct 2003 02:37:50 -0800
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.dns
|
| We currently have an mainly NT4 environment with 2
| Windows 2000 DNS Servers. Soon we will be upgrading the
| PDC to Windows 2000/Active Directory. (As a child domain
| of an already existing root domain)
|
| Currently all clients have the 2 Windows 2000 servers as
| their DNS servers.
|
| What is the ideal way to do this, carry on using the 2
| Windows 2000 DNS servers as the only DNS or have some
| kind of split-brain DNS setup?
|
| Any help/suggestions would be much appreaciated

Hi Steve,

You can use these two DNS servers as internal servers for the new Windows
2000 child domain. The root DNS servers should delegate a child zone for,
so you can use it on your DNS servers as Active Directory DNS zone.

If you need external name resolution, the best way is configure another
external DNS server, only for internet name resolution and use it as a
forwarder server.

If you do not have one DNS server, or do not have plans to create one, you
can use the DNS servers for both internal/external name resolution.

You can find more information here: http://www.microsoft.com/dns

Regards,

Jose Luis Auricchio
MCT,MCSE 2003/2000: Security/Messaging