DNS and LS command

TheBib

Hi,

I have a DNS server with 1 primary zone (ZA).
In this zone, I have create 2 domains (DA and DB) with, in each domain, 2
aliases (S1 et S2).

I have enable the zone transfers.

If I try nslookup, and LS, I have :
[myserver.mydomain.ad]
za. NS server = myserver.mydomain.ad
s1.da A 1.1.1.1
s2.da A 1.1.1.2
s1.db A 1.1.2.1
s2.db A 1.1.2.2

So, the LS command give me the full list in the zone ZA

Here is my question : how to list data in a "sub-domain" ??
I need to obtain the da.za content.

I fI try "ls da.za" :
[myserver.mydomain.ad]
*** Can't list domain ourdomain.local: Query refused
The DNS server refused to transfer the zone ourdomain.local to your
computer. If this
is incorrect, check the zone transfer security settings for ourdomain.local
on the DNS
server at IP address 192.168.64.10.

Regards,

Yannick

not sure if this helps

nslookup>set type=ns
nslookup>da.za
--> this will give you the Ip address of the (authorative) dns server of the
da.za domain

nslookup>lserver <IP>
--> here you fill in the IP of that (authorative) dns server of the da.za
domain queried in the last command

nslookup>set type=a
nslookup>ls

that I believe should list your (sub-)domain

hope this helps... let me know regardsless
....Edwin.

Ace Fekay [MVP]

In
TheBib said:
[...]

Part of the issue is if ZA is a single label name zone, it may cause issues.
Keep in mind DNS is based on an hierarchal tree. A zone must have at least
two levels, such as za.com, za.local or even za.thebib.

When you invoke nslookup, it will use the DNS server listed in IP
properties. Is this the server at 192.168.64.10 that you enabled zone
transfers that comes up when you invoked nslookup? If not, repoint nslookup
to use that server by issuing this command:
server 192.168.64.10
Now it will use that server.

Then:
ls -t da.za

But I never tested it with a single label zone name.

--
Ace

confers no rights.

Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
watched threads or subject.

Not sure how? It's easy:
How to Configure OEx for Internet News
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

Microsoft MVP - Windows Server Directory Services
Microsoft Certified Trainer
Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile.

The only thing in life is change. Anything more is a blackhole consuming
unnecessary energy.