dmboot Event ID 6 and LDM Event ID 2. Please help!

G

I've got a very serious problem i need help solving.
We have a windows 2003 server. It have 2 hard disk. First is basic disk with 1 partition, which is boot and system. Second is a dynamic disk with one partition, where very important documents are stored. It all worked fine for about a month, and suddenly, one day on a normal server bootup the dynamic partiotion became missed. I looked into "Disk Management" and found that second disk appears as Dynamic - Offline. I inspected system events and found that dmboot (during bootup) logged error with ID 6 and message "dmboot: Failed to auto-import disk group FilesrvDg0. All volumes in the disk group are not available.". I tried to "Reactivate Disk" with Disk Manager. It didn't gave any errors but disk didn't come on-line. Also i found that Disk manager have logged 2 messages in System Events during that operation. Both events was errors from LDM with ID 2, but they had different messages: "NTERNAL Error - The disk group contains no valid configuration copies (C10000B6)." and "Unspecified error (80004005).".
I tried to search the MS Knowledge base but i didn't found any relevant information except suggestion to use diskpart.exe when dynamic volumes are marked in disk manager as dynamic - unreadable. I tried to use diskpart.exe "online" command in hope to get disk online. I selected disk 1 (the second disk) as the object in focus and tried to select partition 1 there however diskpart told me "The disk management services could not complete the operation.". Nevertheless i tried to use online command since i had disk 1 selected which i need to bring online. Diskpart replied that "Diskpart successfully onlined the selected pack." however it DIDN'T SOLVED anything. Disk 1 still appears as dynamic offline in disk manager and LDM logged following message with ID 1500 when diskpart tried to online the disk: "Disk group FilesrvDg0: Errors in some configuration copies:
Disk Harddisk1, copy 1: Block 0: Invalid magic number in the configuration copy".

I'm not very skilled in dynamic disks filesystem myself. Can anybody explain what is that "configuration copy" and what is "magic number" in there. And most importantly how this can be fixed?
Both disks in the system are IDE disks on the Intel 865PE chipset IDE controller. There are no hardware nor software mirroring, striping on any raid volumes. Just 2 disks - one is basic and one is dynamic. Basic disk working fine, the problem is only dynamic disk.
The data on the disk are very important and i need to bring them up as soon as possible. Please help!

B

Bjorn Landemoo

Ask a Question