DLT 4000 (DLT III and DLT IV Tapes)

G

We are backing up our SQL Database on a Quantum DLT 4000 taoe drive. Backup seem to be failing inconsistently, which seems to be caused by bad tapes.

Is there a command or utility that can format these taoes, other than the backup utility which will only format tapes on a DC 2000 tape drive.
Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

-BM

D

David H. Lipman

Do you think mentioning what Backup Application you are using would be important ?

I hope it is NOT the native backup program!

Dave

| We are backing up our SQL Database on a Quantum DLT 4000 taoe drive. Backup seem to be
failing inconsistently, which seems to be caused by bad tapes.
|
| Is there a command or utility that can format these taoes, other than the backup utility
which will only format tapes on a DC 2000 tape drive.
| Any help would be appreciated.
|
| Thanks,
|
| -BM

G

Dave:

We are using SQL 2000, technically, to back up the database. The backup worked fine last night. Alot of technical references have been saying to drop the backup device and recreate it, but I have had some bad experiences with the server not reaquiring the device.

I have found the FormatMedia property, but do you happen to know of an easier way Windows 2000 Server can format these DLT III tapes?

Thanks,

-Ben

D

David H. Lipman

Yes -- a bonfide Backup application such as Arcserve.

Dave

| Dave:
|
| We are using SQL 2000, technically, to back up the database. The backup worked fine last
night. Alot of technical references have been saying to drop the backup device and recreate
it, but I have had some bad experiences with the server not reaquiring the device.
|
| I have found the FormatMedia property, but do you happen to know of an easier way Windows
2000 Server can format these DLT III tapes?
|
| Thanks,
|
| -Ben
|
|
|
| "David H. Lipman" wrote:
|
| > Do you think mentioning what Backup Application you are using would be important ?
| >
| > I hope it is NOT the native backup program!
| >
| > Dave
| >
| >
| >
| >
| > | > | We are backing up our SQL Database on a Quantum DLT 4000 taoe drive. Backup seem to
be
| > failing inconsistently, which seems to be caused by bad tapes.
| > |
| > | Is there a command or utility that can format these taoes, other than the backup
utility
| > which will only format tapes on a DC 2000 tape drive.
| > | Any help would be appreciated.
| > |
| > | Thanks,
| > |
| > | -BM
| >
| >
| >

Ask a Question