Disk Defragmentation

Huey

Even after multiple defragmentations, the disk defragmenter says I have
file fragments (red lines). What can I do?

Gerry Cornell

Huey

How large is your hard disk and how much free space? What files are
named in your Most fragmented files list? Do you have more than one
drive or partition?

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

philo

Huey said:
Even after multiple defragmentations, the disk defragmenter says I have
file fragments (red lines). What can I do?

You need a fair amount of free space to full defrag your drive.

Just off hand, I'd say at least 15% should be free...possibly more.

If you need to make more room on your drive...
you can probably reduce the size of system restore...
by default it's set way higher than is practical

databaseben

its not uncommon to
have some fragments left over.

there are other defragmentors
that use a different criterion for
determining what should be or
cannot be defraged.

i like O&O defrag 2000 freeware
and
system mechanic provides one as
well within there program. but there
are many others avail.

Zilbandy

Even after multiple defragmentations, the disk defragmenter says I have
file fragments (red lines). What can I do?

Don't worry about them. The amount of remaining fragmentation is
irrelevant to the performance of the computer.

JS

Windows Pagefile, Event Log files and some applications may have the files
locked and will not be defragmented.

JS

James Silverton

Hello, Zilbandy!
You wrote on Sat, 06 Jan 2007 17:05:12 -0700:

??>> Even after multiple defragmentations, the disk
??>> defragmenter says I have file fragments (red lines). What
??>> can I do?

Z> Don't worry about them. The amount of remaining
Z> fragmentation is irrelevant to the performance of the
Z> computer.

Just to enlighten me :) There are often large areas indicated
as umoveable; what would those files be?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Zilbandy

Just to enlighten me :) There are often large areas indicated
as umoveable; what would those files be?

Most likely, Windows Page File, system restore files and hibernate
file.

Gerry Cornell

Quote from Windows XP Professional Resource Kit.

"Green areas show files that cannot be moved. The green areas usually
represent the paging file, but on NTFS volumes, green areas might also
represent space used by the NTFS change journal and the NTFS log
file."

Also from Windows XP Professional Resource Kit.

"To defragment the paging file
1.From the Start menu, click Control Panel, click Performance and
Maintenance, and then click System.
2.On the Advanced tab, under Performance, click Settings.
3.On the Advanced tab, click Change to open the Virtual Memory dialog
box.
4.In the list of drives, select a volume to store a temporary paging
file.
5.Click Custom size, type an initial and maximum size to match the
current paging file, and then click Set.
6.Select the original paging file in the drive list, reduce the
minimum and maximum size of the original paging file to 0 MB, and then
click Set.
7.Restart your computer to have the system use the new paging file.
8.Run Disk Defragmenter on the original volume to consolidate the free
space segments created by moving the paging file.
9.Re-create the paging file on the original volume.
10.Reduce the minimum and maximum size of the temporary paging file to
0 MB.
11.Restart your computer."

System Restore Points can be red or blue.

Hiberfil.sys will be red.

--

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~
FCA
Stourport, England
Enquire, plan and execute
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

James Silverton

Hello, Gerry!
You wrote on Sun, 7 Jan 2007 11:50:25 -0000:

GC> "Green areas show files that cannot be moved. The green
GC> areas usually represent the paging file, but on NTFS
GC> volumes, green areas might also represent space used by the
GC> NTFS change journal and the NTFS log file."

GC> Zilbandy wrote:
??>> On Sat, 6 Jan 2007 21:04:29 -0500, "James Silverton"
??>>
??>>> Just to enlighten me :) There are often large areas
??>>> indicated as umoveable; what would those files be?
??>>
??>> Most likely, Windows Page File, system restore files and
??>> hibernate file.

Thanks very much to you and Zilbandy! It had never occurred to
me to ask but you have solved what was a long standing mystery
for me :)