Discuss : Essential PC Software

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
thegodfather123 said:
im not a moderator but there are alot of better proggrams that you have missed out v_r like spybot search and destory
Sorry, but he didn't miss it, you may need new reading glasses. ;)

:user:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
thegodfather123 said:
shut up muck i dont need glasses

Yellow card for you matey.

One more remark like that and you're history.

You're the one who missed this forum's link to Spybot Search & Destroy. Mucks was just pointing that out in a humorous manner.

Reaction score
Hmm... A lot of anti-virus tools.

Let me recommend some web enhancement tools below:

IE7pro - The ultimate plug-in for Internet Explorer, make your IE more easier and powerful.

Mcafee SiteAdvisor - Protection from Adware, spyware and spam online.

Cute Password Manager - If you have many websites to login, many passwords to remember, this tool is just for you.

user.gif

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
V_R said:
Ok, so i've been working on an updated version of the thread for a couple of days.

Fantastic work V_R! :bow: There are a few things I've not used on that list, so I'm going to check them out (like 7-Zip and TugZip, as I normally just use WinRar - but that's getting a bit old now).

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Very good indeed :thumb:

I'm going to try 7-Zip as well, I've been using a freebie named QuickZip for a few years, does a very good job but free Zip programs that handle all zip formats are thin on the ground.

The last time I tried TugZip, several years ago, there was something about it I didn't like, I think possibly it didn't work. But that was 2 or 3 years ago.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Must admit i've tried 7-zip and used to use only tugzip, but i have been using Winrar for ages now and actually really like it.

Ah yes, by the guys that make Ccleaner and Defraggler. Good spot Niv.

EDIT: Added. :)

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/products/?p=751

"As much as information technology professionals don’t like it, there are times when emergency measures are necessary. You never know when a virus will take down a machine (or network), or a partition table will become corrupt. Because you never know what will strike (and when it will happen) it is always best to have a multitude of recovery tools available.

In some instances, it is as easy as restoring a previous image. But in other instances, you will have to resort to a rescue/recovery tool. SystemRescueCD is a Linux-based rescue disk that contains a number of outstanding tools that can help you to troubleshoot (and hopefully repair) Linux desktops, Linux servers, and Windows machines."

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

How about a section for tools to rescue systems. Purely for historical information of course. As most folk use the super stable Microsoft products and other folk use the Perfect Penguin alternatives.

:p

Urmas

Subarctic Penguin
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Linux ... well it is free :p if you are serious and need an OS but don't need to play games. :D
Might make an useful thread in the penguin dept... "must have software above and beyond the usual selection that gets installed by default".

Hmmm...
happywave.gif

Urmas –listening to the blues with Guayadeque Music Player

muckshifter

Reaction score
now either I need new reading glasses, or Secunia PSI is missing ;)

The Secunia PSI is a FREE security tool designed to detect vulnerable and out-dated programs and plug-ins which expose your PC to attacks.

and a new one for all ... HWiNFO32 you may like this one, works on 64 OSs too ;)

another, it may be old, but it does what it says on the tin ... Karen's Replicator

all for now

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ah nice one, mucks i'll add them as as soon as i get a chance. Must say i have not used either...

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Ta Muck's that Karens Replicator looks very interesting and just the sort of thing I have been looking for.
nod.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
I been looking in my "I'll get a roundtuit" downloads section of me hard drive ... ;)

will find more, no doubt, some have very cryptic files names, like "setup". :lol:

Ask a Question