Disappearing fonts

G

When I boot up windows xp home, all the writing is in gibberish. The start menu, task bar, icons, everything is illegible. For example, The word start is S=a question mark T= a pyramid A=a checkmark R=an X and T= another pyramid. When I open up the fonts icon in control panel, there are none listed in the file. However when I open up the Windows folder from the C drive, and open up the fonts folder, there are no fonts, but if I right click on the folder itself, it tells me in the properties that the folder contains 125 mb - which is about right

Now, I copied all the fonts from my desktop computer onto a CD-R, and installed them into the fonts folder on the one in question. The computer becomes usable, but when I power down, and restart the computer, it returns to gibberisnh and I have to reinstall the fonts to use it. I've done this now about 5 times, and the properties now show about 600 mb in the fonts file

I've run the Norton Antivius a couple of times (after getting the latest definitions) and there are no viruses on the computer. Thanks for reading this. I truly appreciate any help you can give me to get my system back

Georg

J

John A

Are you actually installing the fonts or just copying them to the
fonts folder?

John Allen

Ask a Question