Disabling KCC

Sandy Wood

I've been getting a steady stream of Event 1311's in my
forest claiming that my KCC cannot compute a replication
path amongst my sites. Running replmon shows replication
going wonderfull and regular. Last night I ran the VB
script in kb article 245610 and it appeared to disable
KCC without an issue. This morning, the 1311's are
showing back up. How can I kill this thing?

Eric Fleischman [MSFT]

If I may suggest that enabling KCC is a good idea. There is usually little
reason to disable KCC unless you are in a large environment (more than 100
sites with w2k, no real limit with w2k03). For the 1311's if you gave us the
full errors, maybe with other related ones (possibly 1126's?), we could
probably get to the bottom of this.

Thanks!
~Eric

--
Eric Fleischman [MSFT]

Sandy Wood

I've done some further checking and found that I've got
one site that can't seem to communicate with the other
sites correctly. I've got a central office with six
satellite offices. Each office is a site with 1 DC that
has DCHP, DNS, GC and is a ISTG. Users can log in and
everything works fine - I can even force replication in
replmon and it comes back sucessful.

I'm getting NDTS KCC / 1566 errors on 5 out of the 6
sites that say:

All servers in site CN=DA-
WOC,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=da,DC=ocgov,DC=com that
can replicate partition

DC=dev,DC=da,DC=ocgov,DC=com over transport
CN=IP,CN=Inter-Site

Transports,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=da,DC=ocgov,DC=com
are
currently unavailable.

This happens 4 times for each partition DA-WOC is trying
to replicate.

After each 1566 I get a 1311...
The Directory Service consistency checker has determined
that either (a) there
is not enough physical connectivity published via the
Active Directory Sites and
Services Manager to create a spanning tree connecting all
the sites containing
the Partition DC=dev,DC=da,DC=ocgov,DC=com, or (b)
replication cannot be performed with one or more
critical servers in order for changes to propagate across
all sites (most often
due to the servers being unreachable).
For (a), please use the Active Directory Sites and
Services Manager to do one
of the following:
1. Publish sufficient site connectivity information such
that the system can
infer a route by which this Partition can reach this
site. This option is
preferred.
2. Add an ntdsConnection object to a Domain Controller
that contains the
Partition DC=dev,DC=da,DC=ocgov,DC=com in this site from
a Domain Controller that contains the same
Partition in another site.
For (b), please see previous events logged by the NTDS
KCC source that
identify the servers that could not be contacted.

Again, 4 times. My Sites and Services appear to have all
site links ok and this just started happening a week ago
after smooth running for months.

Any ideas?

If I may suggest that enabling KCC is a good idea. There is usually little
reason to disable KCC unless you are in a large environment (more than 100
sites with w2k, no real limit with w2k03). For the 1311's if you gave us the
full errors, maybe with other related ones (possibly 1126's?), we could
probably get to the bottom of this.

Thanks!
~Eric

--
Eric Fleischman [MSFT]

Have you checked
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307593
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=819249
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=214745

--
Regards

Matjaz Ladava, MCSE, MCSA, MCT, MVP
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
(e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed)
http://ladava.com

.

Eric Fleischman [MSFT]

Typically when you see this sort of an error that clues me in that we have a
site topology problem.
In a nutshell we would want to inspect our site links to ensure that they
form a complete map of the sites we have defined.

If you give us a full ldif dump of the config container (ldifde -f
foo.ldf -d "cn=configuration,dc=X" - where X is your domain actually
spelled out in standard syntax with dc=foo,dc=bar etc.) we could probably
tell you more specifically. I understand you may not want to share this over
a public newsgroup though.

Also enabling kcc logging
(hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\ntds\parameters is the reg key that
has this setting) and turning it to 4 will also spew extra data to the
directory services event log.

~Eric

--
Eric Fleischman [MSFT]

Sandy Wood said:
[...]

I think I'm going to pass on sharing the ldif in this
forum.....I'll turn up the logging and wade through the
ldif myself and see if it makes sense.
[...]

There
is usually little and
confers no rights terms
specified at wrote
in message in
my

.

Eric Fleischman [MSFT]

Totally understood.
You can also send me that ldif file offline (remove online from my email
address) and I can take a look if you would like me to.

~Eric

--
Eric Fleischman [MSFT]

Sandy Wood said:
[...]

confers no rights
Use of included script samples are subject to the terms
specified at

in message
Have you checked
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307593
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=819249
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=214745

--
Regards

Matjaz Ladava, MCSE, MCSA, MCT, MVP
Microsoft MVP - Active Directory
(e-mail address removed), (e-mail address removed)
http://ladava.com

"Sandy Wood" <[email protected]>
wrote in message
I've been getting a steady stream of Event 1311's in
my
forest claiming that my KCC cannot compute a
replication
path amongst my sites. Running replmon shows
replication
going wonderfull and regular. Last night I ran the VB
script in kb article 245610 and it appeared to
disable
KCC without an issue. This morning, the 1311's are
showing back up. How can I kill this thing?

.

.

Sandy Wood

Eric,

Well, I created an ldf dump file and it's over 4mb - is
there an 'abbreviated' file I could generate? I'd love to
share it with you, offline, but I don't want to choke up
the system with this thing!
You can also send me that ldif file offline (remove online from my email
address) and I can take a look if you would like me to.

~Eric

--
Eric Fleischman [MSFT]

I think I'm going to pass on sharing the ldif in this
forum.....I'll turn up the logging and wade through the
ldif myself and see if it makes sense. clues
me in that we have a to
ensure that they container
(ldifde -f etc.)
we could probably (hklm\system\currentcontrolset\services\ntds\parameters
is the reg key that and
confers no rights terms
specified at wrote
in message
Transports,CN=Sites,CN=Configuration,DC=da,DC=ocgov,DC=com connecting
all warranties,
and 1311's
in

.

Eric Fleischman [MSFT]

It should zip a lot given that it is just txt. Just zip it up and email it
over.

~Eric

--
Eric Fleischman [MSFT]

"Matjaz Ladava [MVP]" <matjaz@_nospam_ladava.com>

wrote in message
I've been getting a steady stream of Event 1311's
in
my
forest claiming that my KCC cannot compute a
replication
path amongst my sites. Running replmon shows
replication
going wonderfull and regular. Last night I ran
the VB
script in kb article 245610 and it appeared to
disable
KCC without an issue. This morning, the 1311's are
showing back up. How can I kill this thing?

.

.

.

Sandy Wood

Great! It's on it's way.......ocda.zip

wrote in message
I've been getting a steady stream of Event 1311's
in
my
forest claiming that my KCC cannot compute a
replication
path amongst my sites. Running replmon shows
replication
going wonderfull and regular. Last night I ran
the VB
script in kb article 245610 and it appeared to
disable
KCC without an issue. This morning, the
1311's
are
showing back up. How can I kill this thing?

.

.

.

.

David Adner

Be sure to share the end results. :)

Sandy said:
Great! It's on it's way.......ocda.zip
[...]

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no

wrote in message
I've been getting a steady stream of Event
1311's
in
my
forest claiming that my KCC cannot compute a
replication
path amongst my sites. Running replmon shows
replication
going wonderfull and regular. Last night I ran
the VB
script in kb article 245610 and it appeared to
disable
KCC without an issue. This morning, the 1311's
are
showing back up. How can I kill this thing?

.

.

.

.

Cary Shultz [A.D. MVP]

Sandy,

Just an FYI: Eric helped me with a memory dump on a Terminal Server and it
was some 2GB in size. Zipped I do not remember how much smaller it
was...did not cause and problems!

Cary

Great! It's on it's way.......ocda.zip

wrote in message
I've been getting a steady stream of Event
1311's
in
my
forest claiming that my KCC cannot compute a
replication
path amongst my sites. Running replmon shows
replication
going wonderfull and regular. Last night I ran
the VB
script in kb article 245610 and it appeared to
disable
KCC without an issue. This morning, the 1311's
are
showing back up. How can I kill this thing?

.

.

.

.

Eric Fleischman [MSFT]

I think that one shrunk to about 30MB, but memory dumps are a totally
different animal. In your case there was a lot of memory that was "blank"
(by blank of course, by definition, there is something there, but not in use
by the OS) so there is a lot of compression we can do. The 2gb file size of
that dmp is actually misleading. Winzip is sharp enough to optimize that
sort of a file big time.

~Eric

--
Eric Fleischman [MSFT]

Cary Shultz said:
Sandy,

Just an FYI: Eric helped me with a memory dump on a Terminal Server and it
was some 2GB in size. Zipped I do not remember how much smaller it
was...did not cause and problems!

Cary

Great! It's on it's way.......ocda.zip