Disabling Broadband Connection in other user accounts

Hi!
First time I've been in here, so hope I'm posting in the right place -
please redirect me if this is the wrong place.

My sister has XP Pro (I think version 1) and is preparing to connect to
Broadband (currently dialup). Her computer has herself as Administrator and
her kids as limited users. She wants to know if it is possible to prevent
her kids from connecting to Broadband in their user accounts and they can
only connect through her account - that is - disable connecting in their own
accounts and connect only in her account. Is there a way to do this?

Much appreciated!

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Hi Pete,

Not sure the basis for the question. So let me explain this and see if this makes sense. The
boardband connection is done using an account that is approved and authorized by the ISP
offering the broadband. Anyone using a machine on that connection will be using that account.

Your sister has a contract with the ISP for braodband services. So anyone using any machine
at your sister's house that goes through that broadband connection is using her account to do
so.

If one of her children log onto the computer with their own user account on the computer and
they access the Internet through the broadband connection, they are doing so with your
sister's broadband account.

May want to clarify with your sister what her concerns are.

HTH,
Gary

--------------------
'--'From: "=?Utf-8?B?TXVsbGV0ZGFpc2llcw==?="
<[email protected]>
'--'Subject: Disabling Broadband Connection in other user accounts
'--'Date: Sun, 23 Jan 2005 07:33:03 -0800
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.security_admin
'--'
'--'Hi!
'--'First time I've been in here, so hope I'm posting in the right place -
'--'please redirect me if this is the wrong place.
'--'
'--'My sister has XP Pro (I think version 1) and is preparing to connect to
'--'Broadband (currently dialup). Her computer has herself as Administrator and
'--'her kids as limited users. She wants to know if it is possible to prevent
'--'her kids from connecting to Broadband in their user accounts and they can
'--'only connect through her account - that is - disable connecting in their own
'--'accounts and connect only in her account. Is there a way to do this?
'--'
'--'Much appreciated!
'--'--
'--'Pete
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.

Pete - been there and done that, I think! When I lived in GA and had DSL
and guests coming to stay for a week or more, and a need to ensure my own
privacy of documents, etc., I set a password onto my own account, and set up
a limited "guest" account. The limited account had no access to the internet
at all. I set up another account with a password and it had access. My
visitors were able to use the internet when I either told them the password
to that account, or logged them onto that account .... without compromising
my personal account. I'd suggest she just try it through a friend or
someone who already has the same or similar type of service and also the same
operating system so she can test it out for herself.

In my current situation, there are 2 computers in the household, and we
recently upgraded from dialup to DSL with wireless connectivity between the
two computers. The main connection is on my computer and that computer is
all password protected. The wireless connection is on the other computer
which a young person uses for homework, etc. We could not find a way to
block her from getting onto internet without parental permission because of
the "always on" and network set up. Same concern your sister has. In the
end, what we do is simply detach the little wireless receiver from it's usb
cable and store it out of her access. That works marvelously, and blocks
her from being able to get onto internet at will.

Hi Wendy (and Gary),

Thank you both for your quick replies. Ummmmm.....not quite what my sisters
situation is....but that's ok - I don't think I was clear enough. I'll use
an example (I don't need this set-up for myself - it is for my sister).

Mycomputer has XP Pro on it and the separate logins (user accounts) are MOI
(administrator rights) and Alpha (limited access rights), Beta (limited),
Centauri(limited) and Delta (limited). Broadband is being installed on this
one computer and MOI is to be the only one who can access the Broadband. The
kids will still have their own login account(to XP, not to broadband) but
will not have access the Broadband from their own account. To use Broadband,
they have to ask their mum, who will sign them in to her XP account and they
can access the Intenrnet only through her XP sign in. This way, she can
monitor their usage and where they go on the Internet and they can only do it
while she is there - because only she knows the password to her XP login.

My question is (and I am asking this only because I'm not an XP user) is it
possible to set it up so that Broadband is disabled in the kids account and
is enabled in the parents account. As I understand it, with XP and 5
separate logins, if you set-up Broadband on the Administrator account, it
automatically appears in the other XP logins. Is that right? If so, is it
possible to disable the connection in the kids account and only have the
account active in the parents account? IF this is possible, how?

Thanks folks for your patience and help!

Pete

Kent W. England [MVP]

Mulletdaisies wrote on 23-Jan-2005 3:41 PM:
My question is (and I am asking this only because I'm not an XP user) is it
possible to set it up so that Broadband is disabled in the kids account and
is enabled in the parents account. As I understand it, with XP and 5
separate logins, if you set-up Broadband on the Administrator account, it
automatically appears in the other XP logins. Is that right? If so, is it
possible to disable the connection in the kids account and only have the
account active in the parents account? IF this is possible, how?

This is not possible with an always-on cable broadband account, since
the connection is Ethernet and those adapters are system resources,
available to all users. There is no "dial authentication" on this type
of connection. Also true of wireless.

There is a XP bug in the DSL connection setup that causes failure of
Guest accounts to be able to access the DSL (PPPoE) connection.
Therefore, if your sister is using a telephone company broadband
account, she can make her children members of the Guests user group and
remove them from the Users group and they will not be able to access the
Internet. However, Guest accounts have other restrictions that might not
suit your sister's needs.

It would be better if she used an Internet nanny software package. Also
note that some cable/DSL routers can restrict Internet access according
to network address and time-of-day, which would work if the kids had a
different computer than their mother (highly recommended in any event).

Of course, if your sister hasn't secured her account and all the other
administrator accounts and her kids are savvy, they can re-enable their
access and shut down your sister's access to the Internet. In these
cases, access is best dealt with through alternate channels, such as
face-to-face discussion.

Another thing that often works is placing the computer in a more public
place, where your sister can directly monitor use from the kitchen,
family room, or den. I use this approach with my kids. It also keeps
them more present in the family when they are using the computer. They
naturally multi-task and can watch TV, talk to parents, chat online and
talk on their cellphones, all at the same time. :)

Hi Kent,

Thanks for that - positively: you've answered my question. Negatively: It
not the answer I was hoping for!!! grin!! And thanks again Gary and Wendy.

Hmmmmm........one other query in relation to that. My own broadband
connection is via USB and I have an icon on my desktop, which, when I click
on it, brings up a userid and password box, after entering the details I can
then access the Broadband connection details and I can choose to connect or
disconnect as I desire. If my sisters set-up is the same as mine, she could
probably restrict access that way, so that they have to ask her first for
access. But as you say, location of computer, netnanny etc. looks like being
the best way!

Thanks again blokes and sheilas!!

Pete
Cheers!

Pete

Ron Chamberlin

Hi,
I would like to add to your confusion. If Sis wants the kids to only surf
thru her account, then she, being the Administrator, leaves the machine more
open to problems than Jane & Sally surfing as limited users.

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP

Mulletdaisies said:
[...]

I know, I know!!! It's frustrating in that sense - XP is supposed to be
for multiple users, yet they obviously have not thought about a one computer
family (for budget reasons) where mum & Dad need Internet access but the kids
don't!!! Works fine with dialup but not with Broadband!! As the others
said, the only way to monitor activity properly is to either restrict
Intenret access to times when parents there or move computer to easily
wathced location or install netnanny etc.

Oh well......thanks for that Ron! Much appreciated!

Pete

Ron Chamberlin said:
Hi,
I would like to add to your confusion. If Sis wants the kids to only surf
thru her account, then she, being the Administrator, leaves the machine more
open to problems than Jane & Sally surfing as limited users.

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP

Ron Chamberlin

Hi Pete,
Yeah, I thought you would know, just didn't want Sis to get surprised. :)

Ron Chamberlin
MS-MVP