Disabled Start Menu

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
I seem to have somehow disabled the Start Menu in Win 10 and get nothing at all when I left click it.

Is there some simple remedy?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
well, according to Microsoft you can't 'disable' the start menu.

The Start button is a core and essential feature of OS.There is no registry key or GPO to block or disable this.

what happens when you press the Window Key ?

:user:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Mucks. I already tried your suggestion and it did find some faults and, supposedly, corrected them. However, the problem with the Start Menu persists. Your link suggests running Scannow at least three times so I'll try it another twice. :)

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Rerun sfc and also run DISM as in your link but no change. I get the message "no problems found" :confused:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This seems to be a surprisingly common problem :(.

Do you know if you've had the "Fall update" installed already? If not, you could try manually running the update and see if it's fixed in the process. Just click the "update now" link on the page below (not the full download tool):

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

If that fails, you could try creating a new user account and see if the problem exists there - for some reason, this problem can be account specific. Does right clicking the start button still work for the power tools menu?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
OK, use the Reset function in Windows 10.

You'll find it at Start > Settings > Update & Security > Recovery > Reset this PC (Get Started). Follow the on-screen instructions and you should see the option to remove everything and reinstall Windows.

Note
If you can't open Settings, you can get to reset by restarting your PC from the sign-in screen. Press the Windows logo key Windows logo key +L to get to the sign-in screen, then hold the Shift key down while you select Power > Restart in the lower-right corner of the screen. After your PC restarts, select Troubleshoot > Reset this PC.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/help/12415/windows-10-recovery-options

If you can't get to the sign-in screen, use a recovery drive or installation media to reset your PC.

No need to re-register as it's automatic.

:user:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
After a long and tortuous route I eventually got into Settings and reset the PC as you suggested, Mucks. :thumb:

Lost a couple of previously downloaded programs but no big deal. Everything seems to be back to normal (I hope).

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Just as a footnote to this thread I can say that my PC is running in a much more slick fashion. I guess I've got rid of a lot of bloatware. :D

Maybe resetting should be a regular event. :nod:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
My current install is originally Win7 from when I built this machine in 2014 which I then cloned to a bigger SSD and upgraded to 10, with the CU and then the FCU. Been good as gold, you just need to look after it and do some routine maintenance.

You guys are doing something wrong. :p

Ask a Question