Direct X

Eddie Stewart

I am trying to load a game I owned prior to the purchase
of my new machine. I received a message to download the
latest version of Direct X from the Microsoft website. I
have tried twice to download Direct X version 9.0a and it
failed to install at all. I tried once by saving it to
disk, and once by opening it from the websit. I went
through the installation both times but the program did
not install.
I am running Windows XP Professional version 5.1.2600.
I need information on how to get this program to install
correctly. Feel free to e-mail me the info.

Jimmy S.

Hi Eddie,

Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical
and Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and
download and install the Full Version of DX 9.0a from here:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/8/1/a81adbcd-3212-4cb7-b02a-183eee612bbf/dx90a_redist.exe

If you get any error messages, reply to this post with them. :)

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

| I am trying to load a game I owned prior to the purchase
| of my new machine. I received a message to download the
| latest version of Direct X from the Microsoft website. I
| have tried twice to download Direct X version 9.0a and it
| failed to install at all. I tried once by saving it to
| disk, and once by opening it from the websit. I went
| through the installation both times but the program did
| not install.
| I am running Windows XP Professional version 5.1.2600.
| I need information on how to get this program to install
| correctly. Feel free to e-mail me the info.

Jimmy S.

Hi Eddie,

Mark and I were typing out almost the same advice for you at
the same time. Hopefully one of the two versions helps you! :)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

"Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message | Hi Eddie,

| Go to the Windows Update site for everything under Critical
| and Recommended: http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com and
| download and install the Full Version of DX 9.0a from here:
| http://download.microsoft.com/download/a/8/1/a81adbcd-3212-4cb7-b02a-183eee612bbf/dx90a_redist.exe
|
| If you get any error messages, reply to this post with them. :)
|
| --
| Cheers,
| Jimmy S.
|
| Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
| Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
| Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms
| My advice is donated "AS IS" without warranty; nor do I confer any rights.
| _________________________________________________________
|
| | I am trying to load a game I owned prior to the purchase
| | of my new machine. I received a message to download the
| | latest version of Direct X from the Microsoft website. I
| | have tried twice to download Direct X version 9.0a and it
| | failed to install at all. I tried once by saving it to
| | disk, and once by opening it from the websit. I went
| | through the installation both times but the program did
| | not install.
| | I am running Windows XP Professional version 5.1.2600.
| | I need information on how to get this program to install
| | correctly. Feel free to e-mail me the info.

Mark Salloway

Hi Richard,
If you have already checked the status of the cryptographic service open
c:\windows\system32 and rename the
folder called catroot2 to catrootold. Then try running setup again.

Hope that helps

Richard

Hi, Mark.

I tried doing this, but I still get the error message
when trying to get the recommended update from the
Windows UPdate page.

One other piece of information: when I run dxdiag, it
tells me I have Ver. 9.0a (4.09.0000.0901). The most
recent files listed are system.dll (7-21-03), another
system.dll (4-23-03), and other dll's dated 3-3-03. I
assume that I don't have the latest files, given that I
saw the first notice of the update in early June.

Thanks for your help so far and any other suggestions you
may have.

Richard