Direct X.....Installed??? Please help.

Frank

I just reciently installed XP Pro SP1 on a new computer
and took all the Windows updates.
I am now having a problem running some games.
I get the message that Direct X is reporting that the
video card doesn't have enough memory.
This cannot be as I have the ATI 9800XT with 256MB(also
just booted the comp).
I opened windows explorer, went through the file tree,
found the directx file under program files.
Upon clicking the directx file I get a second file named
setup.
I know that in the setup file there should be a file
called Dxdiag.
This file is missing.
For that matter, there is nothing in the setup file or
the directx file.
I also found the Direct X update from the Microsoft web
site and tried reinstalling it.
Same results....nothing.

- So is Direct X installed????

- If so, where is it and is it installed correctly????

- Maybe I need to know how to uninstall Direct X and
reinstall it??????

Thank you.

Paul Smith

- So is Direct X installed????

- If so, where is it and is it installed correctly????

It's part of the system now, the dxdiag program lives in Windows/System32
just go to Run in the Start menu and enter dxdiag. That will kick it off.
Check out the video tab in it, make sure it's reporting 256 MB ish or not...

--
Paul Smith,
Yeovil, UK.

Jimmy S.

Hi Frank,

Look for the installed version information when you click
START / Run / and type: dxdiag

Here's what I usually recommend (it sounds like you tried this?)
Download and install the complete DirectX 9.0b from:
http://download.microsoft.com/downl...-4c98-baf3-0c67e7f3751f/dx90update_redist.exe

*Antivirus / Firewalls can corrupt the download and installation,
it's highly recommended you disable them during this process.

--
Cheers, Windows XP MVP Shell / User

| I just reciently installed XP Pro SP1 on a new computer
| and took all the Windows updates.
| I am now having a problem running some games.
| I get the message that Direct X is reporting that the
| video card doesn't have enough memory.
| This cannot be as I have the ATI 9800XT with 256MB(also
| just booted the comp).
| I opened windows explorer, went through the file tree,
| found the directx file under program files.
| Upon clicking the directx file I get a second file named
| setup.
| I know that in the setup file there should be a file
| called Dxdiag.
| This file is missing.
| For that matter, there is nothing in the setup file or
| the directx file.
| I also found the Direct X update from the Microsoft web
| site and tried reinstalling it.
| Same results....nothing.
|

| - So is Direct X installed????
|
| - If so, where is it and is it installed correctly????
|
| - Maybe I need to know how to uninstall Direct X and
| reinstall it??????
|
| Thank you.

This is BS! I have an AMD 2000+ running XP Pro SP
I have download and installed DirectX 9b to function with my Geforce4 400M
I have re-installed the whole system for this to work... But still it dont! :
I am trying to run Need for Speed Underground (which has run before on my system with same setup!
Everytime I access DXDIAG and run the test on my graphics card (with a newly downloaded version of the drivers)
It shows the DirectX Cube, but static and crashes my whole system (cold kill OFF!

What the hell is the matter with this and why and how can I resolve it

The annoying thing is, it was working perfect until Sasser invaded my machine.
Rather than sod about removing it, my computer was due a re-install anyway
So I have done it. And NFSU wont work! :
HELP Please ASAP.

Yves Leclerc

Download and install the latest motherboard chipset drivers.

Check the size (wattage) of the power supply. Nowadays, most "gamer" PC
should start using 350watts or greater. I replaced my power supply and my
system became stable. Also, do not setting for the cheap units. Buy a
respected brand-name (Antec Enermax,or PC Power and Cooling???)

Leon said:
This is BS! I have an AMD 2000+ running XP Pro SP1
I have download and installed DirectX 9b to function with my Geforce4 400MX
I have re-installed the whole system for this to work... But still it dont! :(
I am trying to run Need for Speed Underground (which has run before on my system with same setup!)
Everytime I access DXDIAG and run the test on my graphics card (with a
newly downloaded version of the drivers)

Jimmy S.

Hi Leon,

Perhaps you need to reinstall everything using a different method
since your hardware was working before (unless you damaged it).

Here's the method I recommend, which works for most players.

Updating video card drivers can solve most gaming issues. Here's some
simple abc's to always keep in mind. a. Shut off download accelerators,
firewalls and antivirus programs when downloading or installing updates;
b. Check for game patches: www.avault.com/pcrl/patches_list.asp?letter=a
c. Make sure you meet the game's minimum video and system requirements;
d. Check for known issues with your video card at the game's web site. :)

1. Before you update your drivers, I recommend you re-install DirectX:
http://download.microsoft.com/download/c/9/c/c9c8a1d4-7690-4c98-baf3-0c67e7f3751f/dx90b_redist.exe

Here are the steps I recommend you use to update your driver. If you've
never done this before I recommend you also look over the Installation hints
and Release Notes both of which are linked to from their download page.

2. Download the latest driver for your Nvidia Card

Win XP/2000: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.64
Win98/Me: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win9x_56.64

3. Save the .exe driver in My Documents\My Drivers\nVidia

4. Restart the computer in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key
about once every second as it's rebooting to pick Safe Mode.

5. Click Start / (settings) Control Panel / System / Hardware
Device Manager / expand +Display Adapters / right click on
the adapter, pick "Uninstall", and click No if asked to reboot.

6. Use Control Panel / Add-Remove programs to uninstall the
previous driver (exe)software which may have been installed.

7. Restart the computer in Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key
about once every second as it's rebooting to pick Safe Mode.

8. If Windows prompts you to install the adapter, click "Cancel".

9. Double click the nVidia driver we saved to My Documents\My
Drivers\nVidia folder in step 3 to install.it. If it complains about
Windows Logo Certification just click "Continue". This is normal.

10. After you reboot, go to Control Panel / Display / Settings and
choose 32 bit Color Quality, and 800x600 or higher Resolution.

TROUBLESHOOTING:

Test your drivers using DXDiag: Click Start / Run / type: DXDIAG
Click the "Test" buttons in the Display, Sound, Music & Network Tabs;
If any of the Display options are Disabled and you cannot Enable them,
your most likely solution would be to update your Chipset Drivers as per
my website: http://www3.sympatico.ca/nibblesnbits/Video.html#v11

Your program might not support dual monitors, or "dual head" video cards
You can disable the extra video output in your display properties control
panel. Click Start>Settings>Control Panel>Display>Settings>Advanced.

Along with your Video card, Sound Cards, Motherboard Chipsets,
and Video Monitors may also require updated drivers. Even your
motherboard's BIOS may need to be updated for compatibility with
your Video card. These steps are listed at: http://NibblesNbitsVideo.tk

Perhaps the old Nvidia drivers did not completely uninstall. If that's the
case, use this utility to completely uninstall the drivers and go to step 7:
http://content.guru3d.com/index.php?page=detonatorrip&menu=0

The latest video drivers sometime don't work with a particular game.
(Check the Video suggestions in the readme.txt file in your game folder/CD)
If there's no suggestions, try an older (WHQL) driver, and/or if you still
experience problems try a Beta driver, or even an Omega driver instead:

BETA Drivers: http://download.guru3d.com/
OMEGA Drivers: http://www.omegacorner.com/

There you have it, if you have any questions feel free to post them! :)

--
Cheers,
Jimmy S.

Additional Support Resources: My Zone.com Helpsite: http://nibblesnbits.tk
Microsoft Online Tech Support: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=376
Game FAQ's: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=FH;[LN];gms

| This is BS! I have an AMD 2000+ running XP Pro SP1
| I have download and installed DirectX 9b to function with my Geforce4 400MX
| I have re-installed the whole system for this to work... But still it dont! :(
| I am trying to run Need for Speed Underground (which has run before on my system with same setup!)
| Everytime I access DXDIAG and run the test on my graphics card (with a newly downloaded version of the drivers)
| It shows the DirectX Cube, but static and crashes my whole system (cold kill OFF!)
|
| What the hell is the matter with this and why and how can I resolve it?
|
| The annoying thing is, it was working perfect until Sasser invaded my machine.
| Rather than sod about removing it, my computer was due a re-install anyway!
| So I have done it. And NFSU wont work! :(
| HELP Please ASAP.

NT Canuck

Jimmy S. said:
Perhaps you need to reinstall everything using a different method
since your hardware was working before (unless you damaged it).

download (don't install yet) the dx 9.0b
download latest 4in1 mainboard drivers
download latest ati video driver/control panel

uninstall the current video drivers...(or may "stick" a bit)
reboot into vga mode (press f8 while xp is booting)

install the 4in1 (reboot now if prompted)
keep booting back into vga mode
(that leaves video drivers changeable as they're not really loaded)

install the dx9.0b
reboot if prompted (again into vga mode)

install the video drivers now only from the ati setup
(cancel any windows popup to hunt for them)

now reboot normally...smartgart should setup card ok

if still a problem...check display properties/advanced/troubleshooting
and be sure hardware accelleration slider is all way to right.

let us know (amd are bit tougher to get setup)

Jimmy S.

That's a nice summary of the full instructions I posted. :)

Cheers,
Jimmy.

| "Jimmy S." <Private> wrote in message |
| > Perhaps you need to reinstall everything using a different method
| > since your hardware was working before (unless you damaged it).
|
| download (don't install yet) the dx 9.0b
| download latest 4in1 mainboard drivers
| download latest ati video driver/control panel
|
| uninstall the current video drivers...(or may "stick" a bit)
| reboot into vga mode (press f8 while xp is booting)
|
| install the 4in1 (reboot now if prompted)
| keep booting back into vga mode
| (that leaves video drivers changeable as they're not really loaded)
|
| install the dx9.0b
| reboot if prompted (again into vga mode)
|
| install the video drivers now only from the ati setup
| (cancel any windows popup to hunt for them)
|
| now reboot normally...smartgart should setup card ok
|
| if still a problem...check display properties/advanced/troubleshooting
| and be sure hardware accelleration slider is all way to right.
|
| let us know (amd are bit tougher to get setup)
|
| --
| 'Seek and ye shall find'
| NT Canuck
| http://ntcanuck.com

NT Canuck

Jimmy S. said:
That's a nice summary of the full instructions I posted. :)

heh, vga mode is same as standard desktop but uses a
software windows driver to render display/windows.
(not suitable for gaming but ok for office app's, or video repairs)

the standard login/desktop has the video driver w/hardware
support running and only recently are the newest ATI
(and some Omega ati) video drivers able to work from there.

Safe mode will use minimal services and software video
drivers and best suited to doing service changes or uninstalling
malware/misbehaving programs (since only MS drivers loaded).
Also safe mode is best todo a "good defragment" of the hard drive
since most hardware drivers or default startup app's won't_be
loaded and hence...can be moved/defragged in safe mode.
Those drivers will be "in use" during normal desktop operations
and is tough to consolidate (assemble) fragmented files if they
are "locked" ("in use" drivers/programs are locked by windows).

Anyways...your instructions (if used as template) should cover
agp apertures and considerations for mam/pat type accellerations
in the BIOS that can cause cpu to place ram addresses incorrectly
(maybe is too fast instructions for ram to sort properly) and this
can cause many lockups, blue screens..or even video card looping
and in standard program operations...misplaced pool headers.
(pool headers are sort of ram space "indexes"...) Just because
somone stress tests the ram...that is no indication of being able
to dynamically assign ram addresses correctly with multiple app's
running at same time, this applies to video and physical ram.

Oh yeah...my favorite video card "lockups" or failures in a game
are due to the vpu (video processor unit) *not accepting* commands
from the video drivers and you end up with locked desktop or
even blank (frozen) monitor, sort of what used to happen to
sound cards 4-6 years ago now happening to video. Instead of
fixing this...the latest ATI drivers (4.4 catalyst tested) will push the
screen/display magically into "vga mode" and you don't lose your work...
Problem is that you may_think you are still in hardware mode
and find games reeeaaaalllllyyyy slow or not work at all.

Have fun Jimmy! *g*