Direct Ip Printing vs Print Server

Guillaume Genest

Hi,
let me explain our environment: 300 wyse client
(connect to windows 2000 & windows 2003 Terminal Server),
200 workstation (Windows 2000 Pro or XP Pro).

Someone propose to my boss to migrate everyone
to "Direct Ip Printing" i don't know what he talks about,
does he simply mean to install printer on each workstation
without using a Print Server....

I am wondering where is the advantage of doing this...
Currently we use a Windows 2003 Print Server (and use
tcp/ip to map a port to the printer), every one is mapped
to a printer via the server so drivers and jobs management
are easy... And if i change a printer ip adress i just
have to change his port on the print server....

Someone can give me advantage to migrate our system toward
a "Direct Ip Printing".

thanks!

Feng Mao

Hi Guillaume,

Thank you for posting!

According to my understanding, "Direct IP Printing" is to create a virtual
local port and make the local port to direct connect to the network Printer
Device through TCP/IP protocal.

From my point of view, it will have the below benefit to use Direct IP
Printing:
1. No Printer Server necessary
2. Each user can change the configuration of Printer.
3. Each user can still print if the Printer Server is down

However, if you use Printer Server and all clients connect to Printer
Server, it will have the below benefit:
1. Uses can connect to Printer Server and install drivers from Printer
Server directly
2. IT manager can mange the printer jobs easily, he can arrange some
printer job to a higher priority.
3. IT manager can restrict the printer configuration on the server to
better leverage printer device

In my opinion, if you have lots of clients, it will better to use Printer
Server. However, if there is only several users to use the network printer,
they can use Direct IP Printing to reduce the IT cost.

I hope that I have explained my thought clearly.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support