Digital Video Camera

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I'm looking at getting a digital video camera (well, my parents are - but asked me to pick ;)), with a budget of around £500 ($800 ish). Does anyone have any recommendations for something that would be suitable for good quality recordings with the ability to take normal digital photos (if poss!)?

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian,

Welcome to the world of Photography!

A digital camcorder which takes good still pictures is not very easy to find in the budget you specified, I did some research and found a couple of models that meet your criteria.

Panasonic PV-DV-702

Sony DCR-TRV-50

There are other models too but either they are beyond your budget or do not offer the two choices combined. Anyway I will continue to look for a more suitable model.

Meanwhile, you need to check these two models out and see if you like them.

Any digital camera offering a still picture resolution lower than 1024 x 768 is not to be considered as it will not provide the resonable image that you are looking for.

Sony TRV series of models offer Zeiss lenses too (some models) I would seriously consider them too.

I would also urge you to check out the thread about digital and optical zoom as it applies to digital video cameras as well (check the link below:

Digital vs Optical

Is it possible to check at your end what is available? If so, we can narrow down to a few models you like.

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian,

Sony's TRV-25 and TRV-27 are also very good choices based on your budget. The difference between the two model is only the screen size the TRV-25 with a 2.5" and TRV-27 with a 3.5" screen.

I hope this info is helpful.

Look forward to your comments

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Cheers for the help Quad :)

I've passed on your recommendations to my parents - I also like those Sony models you recommended, and I've never had any problems with any Sony products before (fingers crossed!!!).

I'll take some pictures and post them here when they get it :spin:

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Ian,

I am glad to be of assistance to you (and to your parents), you are always welcome! :D

I really look forward to seeing some pics once they get it and also eagerly waiting to be informed of thier final choice.

By the way, there is something I like to point out. Whatever model they select, please ensure that they get a basic cleaning kit, a filter to protect the lens and a spare battery (if outdoors is on the top of their agenda) it will certainly come in handy.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Will do :D

Thanks again for the great advice :bow:

(an update with pics comming to a screen near you soon!)

Ask a Question