Digital Camera under £200

Reaction score
My folks are after a decent digital camera as their last one could not take the pace of 5 weeks away!
I'm tasked with finding them a decent one through the power of the internet!
Not more than £200 & would prefer to buy from a shop in the high street like curry's or jessop's etc.

Reaction score
Are you just looking for a small compact camera that they can take around with them for holiday snaps? No specific requirements at all???

Reaction score
Their current camera has 3MP but is not got a great zoom on it, pictures at a distant become blurred.
Looking for something with about 8+MP plus able to store photos either internally or on a card that can be read via pc.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
If it were me I'd go for one of the Panasonic Lumix's or Canon Powershot series.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
floppybootstomp said:
If it were me I'd go for one of the Panasonic Lumix's or Canon Powershot series.
Good choices ...

But don't go to Jessops, they owes HSBC some £67m in loans and overdraft and have put up their prices.

I was looking at a new lens, £120-£150 on-line, Jessops = £220 :confused: :lol:

That weren't the only example ... while in the shop I enquired why there was a £20 difference in price tags for the same Item ... oops, someone forgot to take the old price tag away. So, they hiked an instock old item to their new price? :rolleyes:

moan over

:wave:

Reaction score
I've had two Canon Ixus camera's and I have to say they are pretty impressive cameras for taking on holiday. I'm about to take mine round the world and they're great for point and click photography. Get a big SD card in them and you're laughing.

What about this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Canon-Digit...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1235656964&sr=8-1

If you scroll down they have a 'buy these together' option for about £140. It includes a 4Gb Sandisk memory card and a case. It's the same case I've got and it's really good, doesn't add much to the size but it feels sturdy. That would be my recommendation.

Bodhi

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.trustedreviews.com/filte...ter=0&manufacturer=30&submit.x=24&submit.y=21

Id go for the Powershot S5 1S or the A 720 IS .

happywave.gif

Reaction score
OK, the reviews for the Fujifilm Finepix F100FD at £160 which is 12MP looks OK.
But need one thats easy for my folks to use.
Will have a look at what people have mentioned here.:thumb:

Reaction score
Had a look yesterday in Jessops at the Fujifilm Finepix F100FD at £160.
Looks a nice camera & has all the gadgets etc.

Any good review sites to look at etc?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I was going to recommend Steve's Digicams - an excellent site - but it seems they haven't reviewed the Finepix F100FD :confused:

I found This review at Trusted Reviews, most of the reviews I've read at that site have been accurate but I don't really know much about their integrity.

Reaction score
My folks like the look of the Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ28 which Dixons on-line do for £233.
The camera is also the March edition of Which? magazines best camera.
Apart from Dixons has anyone bought from other good suppliers at all either in the high street or on-line?
Jessops on-line is £269, not sure if my folks will want to buy on-line as they may want to see what the camera can do.
In other words have a play before buying!!

Any help, advice or recommendations on where to buy are most welcome.:thumb:

nivrip

Yorkshire Cruncher
Reaction score
Got my recent camera at Curry's. Checked everthing out online and even ordered it from a local store over the net. Then went to the store, where it was waiting for me, paid and was outside in less than five minutes. That's how I like to shop. :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Get yourself to Tottenham Court Road and the immediate vicinity, oodles of camera shops round there and all in competition with each other so should be able to get a good price.

Panasonic Lumix = fine camera :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
"play before buying"

:nod:

Jess-oops' have raised all prices ... I'm sure you'll get any camera cheaper elsewhere. :thumb:

Reaction score
Seems the Panasonic Lumix FZ28 is so rare in shops that i have more chance of seeing rocking horse poo!!
May have to look at a more compact model instead & the cheapest i can find the FZ28 is £233 on-line.

Looking at other Lumix versions & found a shop that sells them near by!!!!
So going to have a look at them tomorrow & see what is on offer.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I tried the Canon Ixus 851s recently avoid it,poor image quality and no option to alter photo settings yourself.Overpriced for what it is and the continuous shoot mode is a joke.

Reaction score
My folks have bought the FZ28 on line after looking at it in a local shop.
Nice & bulky and my folks liked the camera a lot, delivery in a weeks time.

Oh and then i need to learn it all so i can show them how to use it!!!

Cheers everyone for their input in to the thread.
nod.gif

Ask a Question