Difference between ATI Radeon 9800 and the ATI Radeon HD2400?

Reaction score
I am looking into buy a desktop PC, I have been told that i need a graphics card and the ATI Radeon 9800 has been recommended to me but my local PC shop has told me to go for the ATI Radeon HD2400 and that there is not much difference between them. Does anyone know if this is the case?

Last edited:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
What are you going to do with the pc ? I take you are after a PCI-E card not an AGP ? An how much do you have to spend on a card ?

happywave.gif

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
The 9800 Pro was a cracker in its day, but its wayyyyyyyyyy old now. Go PCI-E

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
What are you going to do with the pc ? I take you are after a PCI-E card not an AGP ? An how much do you have to spend on a card ?

happywave.gif

I am hoping to buy a desktop pc and for one of the games I want use it states it needs the ATI Radeon 9800 graphics card as a minimum. I have had a lot of problems finding a desktop with this graphics card. Maybe it has been replaced by a newer version but I dont know if they are suitable or not.

The min specs are :

Minimum Requirements:
Processor: Vista 2GHZ, XP 1.4GHZ,
Memory: Vista 1GB, XP 512MB,
Video Card: 128MB NVIDIA FX 5900 Ultra; ATI Radeon 9800, Intel 82915G/82910GL or greater

I am hoping to get this and a few accessories(cables etc) for under £300, any ideas? No monitor needed though.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The ATI 9800 is a very old card now (5 years maybe?)... there is a GeForce 9800 out now, which might have been what you were recommended.

Do you need a whole PC minus the monitor for under £300?

Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
The ATI 9800 is a very old card now (5 years maybe?)... there is a GeForce 9800 out now, which might have been what you were recommended.

Do you need a whole PC minus the monitor for under £300?

Thats what i`m hoping, my knowledge on PC`s is not very good, is this price unreasable for the spec i need above?

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
DaveyB said:
Thats what i`m hoping, my knowledge on PC`s is not very good, is this price unreasable for the spec i need above?

You could build a very nice pc with a bit of shopping around that will have much better specs than you need for the money you have.

:nod:

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:
You could build a very nice pc with a bit of shopping around that will have much better specs than you need for the money you have.

nod.gif

I apoligise in advance if this is a easy question, my knowledge on graphics cards is limited to what you guys can advise me.

I have been offered a motherboard GA-MA78GM-S2H which says it has a Integrated ATI Radeon HD3200-based graphics (DX10) , would this be enough for FM2009?

The whole offer is £314.90 inc VAT

Black and Silver ATX Micro Tower Case
400 Watt Power Supply Unit
Gigabyte GA-MA78GM
AMD Athlon 4800+ X2 Dual Core 2.5GHz 1MB Cache
Samsung 2GB DDR2 800MHz
160GB 7200RPM SATA II
Samsung SH-S223 22x DVD RW Black SATA
Built-in graphics
Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Basic (32-bit)
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 110
Built-in audio
2 Year Return to Base Warranty with Free Collect & Return

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Abarbarian said:

I have found this system
£324.90 inc VAT

Black and Silver ATX Micro Tower Case
400 Watt Power Supply Unit
ASUS M2N68-CM
AMD Athlon 6000+ X2 Dual Core 3.1GHz 1MB Cache
Samsung 2GB DDR2 800MHz
160GB 7200RPM SATA II
DVD-ROM Drive 16x
nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB
Microsoft Windows Vista SP1 Home Basic (32-bit)
Logitech Cordless Desktop EX 110
Built-in audio
2 Year Return to Base Warranty with Free Collect & Return

Does anyone have any suggestions before I order this?

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions before I order this?
Get a better graphics card. :nod:

It will bump the price up, by why spoil a very good system with a crap card. ;)

Oh, and for crying out loud ... :confused: Vista Basic :confused: ... you may as well install Win98, min you want is XP, if you have to buy Vista, buy the Home Premium version, and I would go for 64bit ... that is my personal opinion. :thumb:

:user:

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Get a better graphics card.
nod.gif

It will bump the price up, by why spoil a very good system with a crap card. ;)

Oh, and for crying out loud ... :confused: Vista Basic :confused: ... you may as well install Win98, min you want is XP, if you have to buy Vista, buy the Home Premium version, and I would go for 64bit ... that is my personal opinion. :thumb:

user.gif

My Options are:
nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB (add £29.95)
nVidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB (add £44.95)
nVidia GeForce 9500GT 512MB (add £54.95)
nVidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB (add £64.95)
nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512MB (add £79.95)
I`m trying to get system as cheap as possible, which is the best value out of this lot?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Well, obviously the most expensive, unfortunately. I mean, they're all fairly priced but you get what you pay for.

And specify a DVDRW (burner) not just a DVD ROM drive, not worth the inconvenience against the small saving.

Who is the supplier you're quoting from btw?

And Mucks is right on the money about Windows, Windows Seven will be along in August - or so we're promised - and Vista will be a dead duck by the end of the year.

muckshifter

Reaction score
DaveyB said:
My Options are:
nVidia GeForce 8400GS 512MB (add £29.95)
nVidia GeForce 9400GT 512MB (add £44.95)
nVidia GeForce 9500GT 512MB (add £54.95)
nVidia GeForce 9500GT 1GB (add £64.95)
nVidia GeForce 9600GT 512MB (add £79.95)
I`m trying to get system as cheap as possible, which is the best value out of this lot?
I can't do that, get a system as cheap as possible, you can not cut corners that often. ;)

Sorry to say, the dearest, the 9600, is the better card ... really depends on if you are gonna play any games ... I only play one game, it required me to buy a nVidia 9800GT, though I did get it for £75, I did try other cards, what a waist of money, in the end I bought the right card ... it may pay to shop around.

And I ain't played my game for over a week.
laughingsmiley.gif

Please, don't buy Vista Basic either ... it's bad enough MS's pricing without sellin real crap. :rolleyes:

user.gif

Reaction score
Its from a company call powerc based in Bedford. I am just trying to find out as much info as possible before I go in there and see what they offer me. I need a new desktop as my current Laptop is on its last legs. I only use it for a couple of games, broadband and word processing etc. Nothing that requires top of the range stuff I didnt think. I only have about £300 for the tower at the moment so i`m not sure if I should even be trying to buy one at this price.

muckshifter

Reaction score
I'm an old system builder, I have always advocated that one starts off looking for the best Mother Board they can for the money ... I have never recommended anyone gets a MB with on-board graphics.

I've had a quick look at your choice, I see you have chosen such a MB ... now, I would be suggesting something different, but I'm out of that game, I let the young one here usually do all that donkey work.

Thing is, it's obvious you missed that, or knew that the built-in graphics would not be that good for games ... however, if, as I suspect, you didn't realise it already has it's own graphics, then you don't have need for another ... you can of course, add a 9800GT with go-faster-stipes at a later date when money & need arises.

Food for though ...
laughingsmiley.gif

TTFN

user.gif

Reaction score
muckshifter said:
I'm an old system builder, I have always advocated that one starts off looking for the best Mother Board they can for the money ... I have never recommended anyone gets a MB with on-board graphics.

I've had a quick look at your choice, I see you have chosen such a MB ... now, I would be suggesting something different, but I'm out of that game, I let the young one here usually do all that donkey work.

Thing is, it's obvious you missed that, or knew that the built-in graphics would not be that good for games ... however, if, as I suspect, you didn't realise it already has it's own graphics, then you don't have need for another ... you can of course, add a 9800GT with go-faster-stipes at a later date when money & need arises.

Food for though ...
laughingsmiley.gif

TTFN

user.gif

I had noticed that the graphics that were built in were not good enough, I did find that it strange I was paying for a in built graphics card and they then also recommended I bought seperate graphics card. Seemed like a waste of money. So you are suggesting buying a decent motherboard and processor, and build around it from there adding the most expensive I can afford as I go?

muckshifter

Reaction score
DaveyB said:
I had noticed that the graphics that were built in were not good enough, I did find that it strange I was paying for a in built graphics card and they then also recommended I bought separate graphics card. Seemed like a waste of money. So you are suggesting buying a decent motherboard and processor, and build around it from there adding the most expensive I can afford as I go?
I do :thumb: ... I'm not alone in that thought either. ;)

It'll take a little work on your part, and is why I leave it to the younger members here at PCR, although the FBS can, if he has the time, come up with very good affordable systems. I'm hinting heavily here. :D

If we know your budget, we do, then the gang here usually try and find the best within its constraints ... some go overboard sometimes.

It is surprising what you can use, but not find, for a cheap but good system.

Apart from the graphics card in my system, it is considered as old as me, but it does what I need it to do. :nod:

Above all, don't rush out ad buy the first thing you see, consult us first, even if we can spend your money like water, we do generally give excellent advice.

:lol:

:user:

Reaction score
Well as you know my budget is £300 plus maybe £50 for extras like keyboard/mouse, cables etc. I only play one game on the PC, which is Football Manager 2009, the rest of the time it is used for writing, internet etc nothing too demanding. I want to be able to plug it into my LCD TV to use as my monitor. The keyboard and mouse need to be wireless. I have no knowledge what so ever about adding extras to the unit at home. Any help would be appreciated

Ask a Question