dial up settings

Paul

I have a new PC (Windows XP home) and Office 2003. If I run Outlook and
click "Send and Receive", a dial up connection is established and I receive
email correctly. The dial up connection remains open, which is OK. If I then
compose email and click "Send", it is sent correctly. However, if I do not
have a dial up connection established when I compose email, when I click
"Send" a pop-up box appears with an error message saying that there was a
mail send error. I have to close this and click "Send and Receive"
separately.

Is this normal? I would have expected the email to be moved to Outbox,
either to await being sent later (maybe after composing other emails) or for
a dial up connection to be offered or established automatically. What I did
not expect was an error message. Is there any way of changing the settings
to avoid this? And are dial up settings the same for all programs that use
dial up, or specific to each?

Thanks,
Paul

Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook]

This behavior depends on which connection type you selected for your mail
account and whether you have an automatic polling interval set, neither of
which you mentioned.

Paul

Thank you for your reply, Russ. I do not have an automatic polling interval
set. I am not sure what you mean by "connection type". As far as I recall,
the wizard didn't ask anything beyond dial up or LAN. The dial up connection
(ISP, phone number, etc.) was already defined as I had done this previously
when I set up access for Internet Explorer, so I just had to select this
connection. If you mean when to dial, I had set this to "Always dial default
connection". That's why I asked if IE settings for dial up apply to Outlook
also (which I assume they do) or if there are different settings (that I
haven't found yet).

Thanks,
Paul

--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Paul" <none> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
[...]

Look at your account then and see which connection type you chose.
You are only permitted three possible choices:
LAN
Phone Line
IE or 3rd party dialer
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]

Russ Valentine said:
This behavior depends on which connection type you selected for your mail
account and whether you have an automatic polling interval set, neither of
which you mentioned.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Paul" <none> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
I have a new PC (Windows XP home) and Office 2003. If I run Outlook and
click "Send and Receive", a dial up connection is established and I receive
email correctly. The dial up connection remains open, which is OK. If
then
compose email and click "Send", it is sent correctly. However, if I do not
have a dial up connection established when I compose email, when I click
"Send" a pop-up box appears with an error message saying that there
was
a or
for I
did

Paul

Russ,

Thank you for your help in this, which pointed me at the area to
investigate. I have now resolved the issue. In case it helps for the future,
the setting I needed to select is on the Tools > Options menu, Mail Setup
tab. In the dial-up section, I had to check "Automatically dial during a
background Send/Receive".

I had not checked this previously, as I (wrongly) assumed this to be
associated with the automatic background polling function, which I am not
using. It appears, however, that clicking "Send" in the email editor is
regarded as a background task, unlike clicking "Send/Receive". I don't
follow the logic, but it now works!

Thanks again,
Paul

Russ Valentine said:
[...]

neither
of
which you mentioned.
--
Russ Valentine
[MVP-Outlook]
"Paul" <none> wrote in message I have a new PC (Windows XP home) and Office 2003. If I run Outlook and
click "Send and Receive", a dial up connection is established and I
receive
email correctly. The dial up connection remains open, which is OK.
If
I do
not was
emails)