Device Manager/PnP

Reaction score
Hi,

My printer stopped working and when I checked it through the System Manager it stated that it wasn't connected to the USB port. When I went to check the Device Manager it was blank. A few minutes later my wireless keyboard and mouse also stopped working. It seems that my USB ports had failed. A couple of them seem to be working okay but 2 of them will not work with some devices e.g. bluetooth dongle & ipod. And, my device manager is still blank.

I am using Windows XP.

Can anyone help?

Many thanks.

Reaction score
Your Device Manager is completely blank? ...blank window frame (i.e. where the device list is, it's white/blank) like?
Considered reinstalling the drivers for the two USB Ports? (I highly recommend doing this)

Also, did the Device Manager mess up after inserting the Printer into the USB Port?

Failing all that, you could always try the beautiful feature of Windows XP that is System Restore? ...try restoring to a time to when you can remember things running a bit better.

Reaction score
Jason, many thanks for your response. Yes the Device Manager is completely blank and the printer has been plugged in to the USB port for months. It is a Dell system and I've been on to their site and downloaded all the updates for my system and I think I've checked the drivers! I will however, check them again. I tried a System Restore going back almost a month and all I kept getting was a message that there was nothing to restore!

Ask a Question