Desktop properties

J

Jim

Using XP Home, just noticed that when I right-click on the desktop and
choose Properties, all I get is a drop-down box to select a theme.
Same thing happens in Control Panel > Display. Dunno what happened to
the other settings dialogs - screen saver, resolution, etc. Am I
missing something?

--

An expert is a person who avoids small error
as he sweeps on to the grand fallacy.

....Benjamin Stolberg

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

See www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, Line 285, right side, Restore All Display Tabs. This REG file will make the necessary registry changes to restore the missing tabs. To use it, just download it and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. You should also ensure that you're antivirus and antispyware applications are up to date with current definitions and scan your system, preferably from Safe Mode.

J

Jim

See www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_tweaks.htm, Line 285, right side, Restore All Display Tabs. This REG file will make the necessary registry changes to restore the missing tabs. To use it, just download it and double click it. Answer yes to the import prompt. You should also ensure that you're antivirus and antispyware applications are up to date with current definitions and scan your system, preferably from Safe Mode.

Thanks Doug. Is it likely that some sorta malware was involved? Are
there other things that might cause this to happen?

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Malware is often the case, here. Some like to put up an HTML page or graphic as your Desktop background, then do their damnedest to prevent you from changing it.

J

Jim

Thanks Doug. Downloaded and ran this, still don't have the display
tabs. It apparently bounced me back to Windows Classic theme, no other
settings tabs show up.

J

Jim

Jim said:
Thanks Doug. Downloaded and ran this, still don't have the display
tabs. It apparently bounced me back to Windows Classic theme, no other
settings tabs show up.

It's now also running the Windows screen saver, which I don't want.
But since there are no display tabs, there doesn't seem to be any way
to change this. ugh

J

Jim

Jim said:
It's now also running the Windows screen saver, which I don't want.
But since there are no display tabs, there doesn't seem to be any way
to change this. ugh

Ran regedit, went to
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

The first item is default REG_SZ, no value set. The other 8 items all
have values set at zero. Does this appear to be correct?

D

Doug Knox MS-MVP

Yes, that would be correct. Actually, the values don't even exist, by default, unless they've been created. Did you log off/log on? It shouldn't be necessary, but sometimes........... Otherwise, I'll look into this a little more and see why you might not still have the tabs.

J

Jim

Yes, that would be correct. Actually, the values don't even exist, by default, unless they've been created. Did you log off/log on? It shouldn't be necessary, but sometimes........... Otherwise, I'll look into this a little more and see why you might not still have the tabs.

I've tried logging off and on and rebooting several times, no change
so far...

Ask a Question