Desktop.ini-- a startup program loading?

john

When I followed the steps "Start-accessaries-system tools-system
information-startup program" to see the startup programs,
I found three desktop.ini which are used by different users
respectively,--"default","NT authority system" and "all users". What is
desktop.ini? Can I remove them from startup program lists and stop them from
start up?

Thank you.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Hi,

That file does nothing more than hold the customization settings for the
folder in which it resides. It has nothing to do with the actual startup
routine. This is quite normal and you will find one in any folder where you
have changed the view settings from the default. You can delete it, but you
will also lose your custom settings for that folder.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 07:42:04 -0400, "Rick \"Nutcase\" Rogers"
That file does nothing more than hold the customization settings for the
folder in which it resides. It has nothing to do with the actual startup

What is the status with regards to "View As Web Page"?

In Win98 days, a hostile Desktop.ini could chain into hostile HTML and
thus run scripts. So while it wasn't part of the startup axis, it
could blow up in your face if you "opened" that folder.

It also meant that any full-shared directory could be used as a
malware entry point from infected PCs on the network.

Unless they're ripped out HTML scripting, the risk may still apply?
This is quite normal and you will find one in any folder where you have
changed the view settings from the default. You can delete it, but you
will also lose your custom settings for that folder.

---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com

Kelly

Meant to mention that, David. Thanks for popping in. :blush:)

They only show if you have changed your default settings via Tools/Folder
Options/Show hidden files....

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

"David Candy" <.> wrote in message
Don't worry about it. They are hidden files so are ignored by startup.

Rick \Nutcase\ Rogers

Haven't messed with that possiblity Chris, but with the changes to the
active desktop in the NT code base, I think that vulnerability was addressed
long ago. I'd have to look into it some to know for sure.

--
Best of Luck,

Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

cquirke (MVP Windows shell/user)

XP doesn't have that exact setting.

Yes, I know that, but that certainly doesn't make them safe. In that
respect, "don't worry about them, they are hidden" is equally dubious
advice - of course I'll worrry about the OS running material
automatically that may have been dropped by malware.

So, no more "just hide things and forget about it" stuff, please;
let's have some straight answers on what Desktop.ini in XP is capable
of triggering, please. If it can autorun scripts, then it's as much a
potential menace as Normal.dot, HKLM...Run or \Autorun.inf

---------- ----- ---- --- -- - - - -
Gone to bloggery: http://cquirke.blogspot.com

Kelly

Chris,

Chill.
Yes, I know that, but that certainly doesn't make them safe.

I didn't state that either way.
So, no more "just hide things and forget about it" stuff, please;

No problem from me on that.

Your reasoning for years have been beyond so many as for as consumption that
is has been sadly dismissed. As for XP, let the past go and join the
program.

--

All the Best,
Kelly (MS-MVP)

Troubleshooting Windows XP
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

David Candy

Your idiotic paranoia is wearing thin. It's contains the local word for Startup, so a frog sees Le Startup or whatever frogs speak. Ditto for the Quick Launch, it contains localised words for some standard icons for one so a kraut see Der Show Desktop or whatever they speak.