desktop: file / icon names no longer highlighted

G

The file / icon names on my desktop used to be blue highlighted and no longer
are. They are easier to read when highlighted. I have no idea how I lost
the highlighting or how to get it back.

R

Ronnie Vernon MVP

Hmm. Most people ask how to get rid of the colored background for the desktop icons. :)

There are four settings that must be configured for transparent icon background to be enabled. Reverse one or more of these settings and the color should return for the icons.

1. Go to Control Panel / System / Advanced Tab / Performance Section / Settings Button / Visual Effects Tab. Make sure that "use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" is checked.

2. Right click the Desktop and select Arrange Icons by and make sure that "Lock Web items on desktop" is NOT checked.

3. Make sure that there is no live web content on the desktop. Right click the desktop and select Properties / Desktop Tab / Customize Desktop Button / Web Tab. Make sure that all checkboxes are cleared.

4. If you are using a desktop wallpaper, make sure that it is an image file (.jpg, .bmp, etc) and not an HTML (.htm) file.

Ask a Question