Deploying Win 2k using RIS and a remote boot floppy

G

I spent many hours on three different occasions trying to install an OS using RIS from a windows 2k server. I can never get the remote boot floppy to start the install. This time I'm trying to install win 2k pro from a windows 2000 server. I did the following. I gave the administrator the domain right to log on as a batch job. I created my server running active directory services, DHCP, and DNS. I created a shared NTFS partition and installed and configured RIS on it. On the target pc I created an active Fat32 partition around 7GB. On the target PC I installed a 3 Com 3c90xb/3c90xc Etherlink PCI NIC. I created a remote boot disc for this NIC. When I boot to the disc I get the following
Win 2k remote boot floppy
Copy write information ..............
3 Com 3c90xb / 3c90xc etherlink PCI

Node:0004769e6448
DHCP.

Press a key to reboot the system

All relevant services are to be running under services DHCP, DNS etc. No IP lease is made, but I see nothing wrong with DHCP.
I believe I am doing something fundamentally wrong, but I'm not sure what.

R

Ralph Farmer [MSFT}

Are you running service pck 4 on the windows 2000 server?
Has the DHCP server been authorized in active directory?
Also make sure that anti-virus is diabled in the system bios.
If you are connected to a switch, try a hub.
Also look at http://support.microsoft.com/?id=300483
Ralph [MSFT]

"This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no
rights."

dan said:
I spent many hours on three different occasions trying to install an OS
using RIS from a windows 2k server. I can never get the remote boot floppy
to start the install. This time I'm trying to install win 2k pro from a
windows 2000 server. I did the following. I gave the administrator the
domain right to log on as a batch job. I created my server running active
directory services, DHCP, and DNS. I created a shared NTFS partition and
installed and configured RIS on it. On the target pc I created an active
Fat32 partition around 7GB. On the target PC I installed a 3 Com
3c90xb/3c90xc Etherlink PCI NIC. I created a remote boot disc for this NIC.
When I boot to the disc I get the following
Win 2k remote boot floppy
Copy write information ..............
3 Com 3c90xb / 3c90xc etherlink PCI

Node:0004769e6448
DHCP.

Press a key to reboot the system

All relevant services are to be running under services DHCP, DNS etc. No
IP lease is made, but I see nothing wrong with DHCP.

G

I don't have sp4 installed. I must need it? so I'll install sp4 on my server and try again. I'm just connecting two computers using a linksys hub. I'm pretty sure I activeated the dhcp server properly; I'll just go back and verify that it is activated.

I have another qustion relating to the above situation.
Last night I performed a unattended network installation of Windows 2k server. I noticed that using RIS is an option when I ran setup manager. Can't I use setup manager to install RIS, so it will be an unattended remote install? I ask this Because when I installed RIS the software never prompted me for information to create an unattend script. So it must not be unattended.

G

thanks for the help. I got it finally. I did disable the antivirus in the target pc's bios and installed sp4 on the server. Many of the problems I encountered during installing RIS where unexplainable. Maybe I'm just having varios problems because I'm using home built computers with some devices not on the hcl.

Ask a Question