Windows XP Dell Xps 430 Downgrade Sound Problems

Reaction score
hello everyone,

After my laptop failed on me i decided to get myself a nice new dell, Only thing is it came with vista installed. I have downgraded it to xp and it works well, apart from the sound. It comes up with a yellow ! when it starts up and there is no sound coming from the ports at the back. I have tried various drivers but none work, please if anyone got any ideas please let me know.

Model - Dell XPS 430
Audio - Sigmatel Driver, STAC 92XX C-Major HD Audio
OS - XP sp3
Chipset - Intel X38/X48 Experss Chipset

Please if anyone has had this problem or know of a way of solving this problem so i can finally get sound, would u kindly please post.

Thank you

Reaction score
No it didnt work, thanks for trying ThiplexDread, i have tried lots of the dell ones. I think i tried in total around 30 drivers now.

Reaction score
Another dead end, i tried this one before but i gave it another try and same result. Dell dont make it easy to downgrade do they. Anyone else got any ideas? BTW i have tried most of the dell drivers on their page, even ones that are not meant for my computer.

Had alook at why it wasnt workin and its change from code 10(can not start up) to code 31 (Windows can not load the drivers required for this device) ?? dont think that makes too much difference???

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yh i have, dell said to me that the Dell XPS430 is not meant to run XP. And the sound is only going to work with vista :(, o well. But no need to worry i just 'borrowed' my dad's old sound card and now i got sound :D. Guess i learned a lesson today, dont downgrade unless u got all the drivers.

Reaction score
Have a XPS 430 running XP SP3 withh all drivers working.

I couldn't find any Sound Driver ready to use, so I end up modding a suitable one, feel free to Give it a try so far it works fine for me.

good luck!

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

How did you guys get this far with installing XP on the XPS 430 with vista installed?
I tried to install XP from an XP SP2 installation CD which failed. I tried the XP x64 version which failed aswell with a bluescreen during the installation loading. Same happens when I try to install XP with a SP3 installation version. How did you manage to even get the XP on this machine?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, since I can not live with vista... I tried... I really did, but they removed useful features, scrapped the some user's rights, added loads of useless features and so on. I don't have the strength to get to used to vista just now.

Thank you for your help

Reaction score
Thank you so much!

It worked and I got XP working on the XPS 430 machine. Even though the sound driver didn't work, but an additional cheap sound card did the trick and everything is running smoothly now.

I'm a happy XP user again. Thanks again for your help.

Ask a Question