Dell & Ubuntu

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting a new pc & have looked at Dell, but with the O/S being Ubuntu.
Would their be any problems with using it as a new user to Linux?
Is it user friendly & any pit-falls with using it instead of Microsoft?
Is it compatable with BOINC?

Any advice would be helpfull.:nod:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Boinc will run fine on Ubuntu........however I would strongly suggest as a newbie linux user to buy/build a PC with Windows and then install Ubuntu free yourself as a dual boot .

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
Boinc will run fine on Ubuntu........however I would strongly suggest as a newbie linux user to buy/build a PC with Windows and then install Ubuntu free yourself as a dual boot .
If dual booting which i can do with my laptop does it give you on option on set up to do so?
May be a silly question, but never done it before with Linux.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
feckit said:
If dual booting which i can do with my laptop does it give you on option on set up to do so?
May be a silly question, but never done it before with Linux.

If you buy a new system pre-loaded with Linux you may come across areas of confusion.

Possibly, you won't, because if Dell feel confident enough to foist a Linux Distro to their customers it has to be quite good, right?

However, I would do as Ady said, start with what you're used to - MS Windows - and then install a Linux Distro of your choice to dual boot. And yes, it is relatively easy, Ihad a thread round here somewhere with pix showing how it's done.

EDIT: oops, just realised, you mean can you install a Windows installation to a disk already loaded with Linux, correct? I expect so, but I really don't know how.

Windows is likely to be less sympathetic to a Linux Distro already installed than vice versa though.

Reaction score
BINGO
this is exactly what I am about to do but am slightly cocerned.

I have heard so much about linux over the years on here, from my friends and at work. I saw ubuntu today and liked it. I dowloaded it and got it working in a live cd mode. It looked good.

At the moment I got xp installed if I installed ubuntu to a different drive will it automatically give me dual boot option to boot from either xp or ubunto just after bios?

Reaction score
p.s how long will ubuntu take to install? It takes around 40-50 minutes for xp on my system.

I am excited to start using linux!!!

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Probably take around the same time I would imagine - take a look at this How-To and use as an installation guide :thumb:

Reaction score
thanks for the guide

im a bit hesitant to install this but I just used acronis drive image to back up my current hard drive in case I get a problem later on.

I aim to install ubuntu to another harrd drive and then also after that I want to try out pc linux 2007.
I hope all the boot up menus get created.I wish to have an option that asks me which OS I want to go into.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
You could be a guinee pig and try out this Moka5 Bare Metal dual boot set up . I've tried out the Live PC's on a USB stick but haven't had time to try the Bare Metal out yet .
Would love some feedback on how it performs . Be a devil and give it a go . You could be the newest trendsetter here at PCR .

http://www.moka5.com/docs/metal/startupguide.html

user.gif
:D

Ask a Question