Dell Inspiron 510m

Reaction score
ab-so-lut-ely rubbash!

i would expect my system to score in excess of 20,000!!!!

my OLD computer got a good few times that...

sorry... Laptops just dont cut the mustard

Reaction score
Prove it...

Laptops cannot play games like desktops, but i will give you a grand if you can get YOUR PC to:

Run of a 12v battery
Use it in a Jet
Use it in a car
have a screen under 1cm thick
be under 1" thick

Is this possible? NO!

So laptops have there advantages, and so do desktops.

Anyway Chris, run 3DMark01 on your PC and take a screenshot of the results

KGB

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Just tested my laptop with 3dmark01 and the score without any tweaking was 4120, I did this only for you, KGB.

Reaction score
Just downloaded the program on your account, and ran it. If i could be bothered to tweak PC i'm sure i could add another 700 or so marks to that total, but that would take effort.

see attachment

Attachments

• untitled1.JPG
    untitled1.JPG
    103.3 KB · Views: 470

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
Yes, desktops beat the laptops by a mile as Chris just proved it.

Reaction score
I feel honered Quad! What laptop was that, how did you get so much more than me?

KGB

Reaction score
Chris, OK, that is good.

How come that there are no avitars in the background? and how come the posts are in the wrong order?

You have not answered my question, can you do all that stuff with a desktop?

AJT - KGB

I need a laptop mainly because i am in one place for half the week, and another place for the other half. unless i buy 2 desktops, i need a laptop

Reaction score
OK people, i am getting bored with chris bosting about how good his PC is compared to mine.

i started this review so that people who want a laptop knew what kind was out there and how good a certain one was. i did not start it to be insulted. So can we please change the subject?

If anyone else has any other questions about the rievew itself (so long as it does not incluse and mention of "Benchmarking" "3DMark" "desktops" or anything like that) i will happly answer them for you!

Is that OK with you Chris?
Thanks,

KGB

Reaction score
You are just jealous....;)

press the "go advanced" button and you will see all the posts like that when you scroll down.

Reaction score
OK that explanes it!

I would much prefer to have the PC i have (laptop) than the one you have! although if they made laptops that high - i would happly spend 3 grand on it (like i would have that much money!)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
KGB,

Don't loose heart, its nothing to be ashamed of or to worry about. Chris did not beat you, he was merely trying to express himself with his score to prove that desktops are always better at gaming. Your problem is fully understood, you need a laptop for the reasons you stated. I also have said in another thread that laptops and desktops are for different uses.

The score I got was on an IBM T41 which you may check the specs of (mine was upgraded to have 512 MB Ramat the time of purchase) at the link provided. In all I paid 1300 quid in April 2004 when I bought it. This is just for your information and better understanding. I mainly use it for business software and emails, occasionaly I have to use Auto Cad for opening drawing files at work from my staff.

http://www.trustedreviews.com/article.aspx?art=198&head=36

Reaction score
Cheers, the main differance is that you have a graphics card and i have to put up with shared memory. Thanks for testing it for me. anyway, i maqinly use mine for web design, so i do not need masses of graphics, but i do play a few games!

KGB

JCH

Reaction score
Nice review.... I bought a Dell Inspiron 510m about two months ago and have to say that it has been fantastic so far. I live in Taiwan and managed to get 15' screen, 60GB HD, 512 RAM (in one slot), 1.7 Gig Pent M, Combo drive, B/G wireless, all for the great price of about 750 pounds sterling. Dell have been very helpfull and the machine itself has run like a dream. At this sort of price for a new model it is very difficult to find fault. Recommended. JCH

Reaction score
Cool,

Glad you like it! Does your price include VAT? I don't know what kind of tax you have over there.

That just seems cheap compaired to mine...

KGB

JCH

Reaction score
Sorry about the delay in replying.... The price includes everything. The only difference I see may be that I have 12 months warranty which is for Asia only. I shopped around here in Taiwan as some computers and parts are good value (Acer, Asus etc), but nothing came close to the specs of the 510m for the price. My friend just ordered the same computer and they knocked off another 50 pounds for him. I had a small problem recently with the CD drive failing to eject from time to time. I called Dell on a Wednesday and on Friday morning I had a nice new drive that works perfectly. No dramas, as you can tell I am very happy with both the computer and the service. You can check prices here at Dell's Taiwan website (mostly in Chinese, but you can configure the 510m specs and get a price in NT Dollars as most of the page is also in English). Drop 4000 or 5000 off the price you see and divide by 60 (exchange rate) and there you have it. Fantastic value.

Reaction score
OK, i have had that problem, only once, it just refused to eject, i right-clicked the drive and clicked eject, but nothing happened. so i restarted, not had the problem since...

KGB

Reaction score
KGB-911 said:
OK, i have had that problem, only once, it just refused to eject, i right-clicked the drive and clicked eject, but nothing happened. so i restarted, not had the problem since...

KGB

used to happen to my liteon cdrw, same solution here just to reboot the pc and the cd would eject! :)

Reaction score
510m Performance

First, thanks for the nice review of this excellent low cost laptop :D

The one great weakness that Inspiron 510m has is the 3D graphics. Compared to my other laptops, the scores on 3Dmark/03 are:

116 Dell Inspiron 510m with Intel Extreme Graphics
230 Fujitsu Siemens Lifebook E- 7010 with ATI Radeon Mobility 7500
288 Acer TravelMate 420 with ATI Radeon Mobility 7500
975 Dell Lattitude D610 with Intel UMA Graphics
1883 Dell Lattitude D610 with ATI Radeon Mobility X300

So for a 2005 laptop, the 510m was a huge disappointment on this area. If you plan on playing any 3D games, you will want a different laptop for sure, such as the Inspiron 6000.

On everything else, the Inspiron 510m is great performance for the money. Check this comparison on PCMark/04 scores, and keep in mind that these other laptops come at twice the price:

2565 Dell Inspiron 510m with Intel Extreme Graphics
2854 Acer TravelMate 420 with ATI Radeon Mobility 7500
3313 Dell Lattitude D610 with Intel UMA Graphics
3454 Dell Lattitude D610 with ATI Radeon Mobility X300

Reaction score
hmmmmm hey KGB do you still have that laptop?? if not whats the scores on a new one :D im gonna download 3dmark01 and see what i get my scores got betetr on 03 and 05.

8595 3dmark03
3777 3dmark05

Reaction score
CSUnited14 said:
hmmmmm hey KGB do you still have that laptop?? if not whats the scores on a new one :D im gonna download 3dmark01 and see what i get my scores got betetr on 03 and 05.

8595 3dmark03
3777 3dmark05

nah, i still have this one :)

Ask a Question