Default Word Program has Changed

G

Hi All,

I use Word 97 for all text documents. Recently, I used Wordpad to make a couple of RTF documents. Now, when I double click on any document that always opened in Word, it comes up in Wordpad XP with a .doc-Wordpad extension. Then when I try to save the file, I get some error message saying Wordpad cannot save the file in its current format and should it save in RTF. This is really frustrating.

I don't know what I did but would like Word 97 to be my default text program.

If anyone can help me or suggest what to look for, I'd sure appreciate it.

Thank you,

William

G

Hi William
let me help you through this small issue. First go to the start button and click on Control Panel, then choose Folder Options, then a Folder Options dialog box will appear. Choose the File Types tab and scroll though the different extensions listed until you find DOC. Click on the DOC extension in the list box and you will see just below the list box where it will say Opens with: Right next to it is a command button labeled Cjhange. HINT! Press change and the Open With dialog box will appear. Scroll until you see WinWord and click on that. Click on OK and you are finished
Let me know how you turned out!

G

Hi Jack

I tried doing what you said and it worked great

Thanks for your help

Willia

----- Jack wrote: ----

Hi William
let me help you through this small issue. First go to the start button and click on Control Panel, then choose Folder Options, then a Folder Options dialog box will appear. Choose the File Types tab and scroll though the different extensions listed until you find DOC. Click on the DOC extension in the list box and you will see just below the list box where it will say Opens with: Right next to it is a command button labeled Cjhange. HINT! Press change and the Open With dialog box will appear. Scroll until you see WinWord and click on that. Click on OK and you are finished
Let me know how you turned out!

Ask a Question