Default value in excel

Reaction score
Hi,

Can we set a default value to a cell in excel, so that even if a value is entered in a cell the cell displays a 0???

Kindly help!!!

Reaction score
You can set what Excel calls a default value, which is a value that will show in a cell until another value is entered. Are you looking to hide the values in the cells?

Reaction score
No I need not hide the value,
actually the issue is i have an exel file where a cell A19 contains 0 and even if i enter any other value as soon as move to another cell it again displays 0.

Reaction score
That sounds like it is likely to be a formatting issue. I would highlight the problem cell, right click on it and choose Format Cells. Change it to a simple selection like General and see if the problem is still there. Also, to make sure it's formatting, look in the formula bar at the top to see if the actual value that you have entered is still in the cell. It sounds like what happened is that the cell data type got changed to text and then a custom format was applied of just 0. If you apply a custom format with some text in it, it will just show the text in the formatting rather than the value in the cell. If you are looking to have the cells show a default value of 0 until a value is entered, let me know and I can tell you how to do that.

Reaction score
Hey bro,

Thanks for your help!! :D
But i am still unable to update any value to the cell and getting the same value 0 displayed even in the formula bar. Do you have any other solution to this???

Kindly check the attached snapshot. Had even tried changing the format to every possible one.

Attachments

• A19.JPG
    A19.JPG
    24.5 KB · Views: 383
Reaction score
Are you getting any kind of pop up when you try to enter data? Saying that the value is not allowed, or the cells are protected, or anything like that?

Reaction score
No bro!!!

There are no pop ups, if such pop ups arise that means the sheet is password protected or the cell may be validated via data validation. But no pop ups, it allows me to enter any value and the cell accepts the value but as soon as the cursor moves to another cell the value in the cell A19 hcanges to 0.:blush::(

Reaction score
Kindly help!!!

I am still stuck up dere...

As of now i had left that row with 0 values in the report, but if i am questioned for clarifications on those zeros i wouldnt be able to answer the same, so kindly help...:cry:

Reaction score
At this point, if it is the entire row that is a problem, I would suggest deleting the row and inserting a new one. Right click on the row heading (number on the left) and choose Delete. Then right click on the row heading that you want the row to be above, and choose insert. This should be a fail-safe way to get rid of the problem.

Reaction score
Hey Bro,

That suggestion doesnt helps too, actually the issue is with only 1 cell A19 and not the whole row...

Ask a Question