DDR or DDR2

Reaction score
DDR2 is not currently compatable with AMD stuff. AMD are bringing out DDR2 compatable stuff much later this year, which is a shame coz DDR3 will be close to selling and it`ll force another round of expensive upgrades.

If you currently have a DDR1 mobo, I personally wouldnt recommend buying a new one that supports DDR2. The clockspeeds on DDR2 are only a bit higher than on DDR1 mobos, and the timings are much worse.

Thats my opinion :)

Kenny

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
DDR2 is finally getting faster with the introductions of DDR2 speeds of 600Mhz and 800Mhz...
but if you got 1 gig of DDR ram there is no real reason to upgrade to DDR2.

As for your question :)
a stick of DDR2 400Mhz and a stick of DDR 400Mhz show almost no performace diffrence (feel free to correct me)
DDR2 also has higher timings than DDR (thats bad to some), id stick with DDR for now. (just wait for DDR2 1000Mhz :eek: )

Reaction score
Well this has to do with my other thred and would like to know should i stay with DDR or go with 2-3 gigs of DDR2 800Mhz?

Reaction score
Sckitty said:
Well this has to do with my other thred and would like to know should i stay with DDR or go with 2-3 gigs of DDR2 800Mhz?

For now, I'd stick with standard DDR - the others are dead right about imminent DDR3 etc... I'm waiting for things to settle down a bit - PCi-E, SLi, DDR2 and DDR3, dual-core, and so on and so on and so on....
It makes my brain hurt:eek:.

Reaction score
If you can hold off on a computer upgrade till Christmas, you`re a better man than me :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
Id suggest that, cause by then all the really cool stuff will have come out and have established a holding. :)

Reaction score
LOL...ok It is very hard to wait till christmas, I almost started to buy one today.

Reaction score
Lol @ Alf...and by Xmas there`ll be more new cool stuff about to come out that we dont know about at the mo...

Tis a never-ending cycle and you know that :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
I have a problem of trying to buy stuff for my comp... but i usually hold out :)
things to look forward too...hmm...
PCI-E Video cards will definitly become much faster that AGP based cards.
Dual core CPUs! (Whoo!)
DDR2 will become worth the price (eventually)
SLI will become even better (maybe even industry standard?)
Physics Accelerators? (i think im the only one whos interested in this... )
Hmm.. that covers all that im looking forward too :D
what else is there?

Reaction score
Ya but by then I will have a good enough pc that I wont have to buy that right away.

Reaction score
I just had a look at the 4800+ dual-core review and.... tbh, although I`m definately interested in benchmarking, I definately dont NEED a dual-core. I was getting all hyped up and excited about getting one, now i`ve read a review and... I`m kinda off it. The same thing happened with SLI.

Average Joe sees new tech coming and imagines how good it will be..then reviews come out and...sometimes the gear doesnt live up the imagination... lol

DDR2, IMHO is pretty pointless... with a bit of luck and a wee bit of skill...DDR1 can be taken to the same speeds, with roughly the same bandwidth

I didnt start this post with the intention of bursting your bubble, or knocking what ur looking forward to, but to start with, a lot of the latest gear isnt necessary, especially for the price.

PCI-E is about to have a point, but who many ppl NEED 2 graphics cores and 512MB memory? Or SLI? Again, IMHO, thats only really for benchmarkers (Futuremark)

Reaction score
Alf said:
I have a problem of trying to buy stuff for my comp... but i usually hold out :)
things to look forward too...hmm...
PCI-E Video cards will definitly become much faster that AGP based cards.
Dual core CPUs! (Whoo!)
DDR2 will become worth the price (eventually)
SLI will become even better (maybe even industry standard?)
Physics Accelerators? (i think im the only one whos interested in this... )
Hmm.. that covers all that im looking forward too :D
what else is there?

You're not the only one lookin out for Physics accelerators Alf...I reckon they're going to be the next biggest performance boost for games after the vid.

Dual core CPU's aren't going to offer gameplayers much benefit unless you want to be running other apps while you play.

I don't think PCI-E will be that much faster than AGP, but they will (do) have definite performance benefits once PCI-E is fully supported.

DDR2 - pointless. Wait for DDR 3.

SLi - being able to switcyh from SLi to non-SLi via software (bios) rather than on the mobo, is already emerging, which makes SLI more attractive; but I wouldn't be surprised if multi-core vid cards don't start to become more popular instead of having to buy two identical cards and keep tweaking drivers for different games.

Things are getting very busy out there aren't they?:confused:

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
Some of us are fortunate in being able to upgrade computers on a more regular basis for whatever reasson, althoiugh some people, simply want to upgrade their whole system and not have to da anymore to it for a good few years, so a wait till chrismas sounds like a very good idea to me bearing in mind the current upheaval of pretty much most of the computing standards there are at the minute, such as DDR1>2>3, ATX>BTX, singal core>dual core CPU, the new PPU etc.

Reaction score
I`m not totally sure BTX will take off... After all the hype that surrounded the planning...only some Intel stuff and Dell have started using it. The Dell XPS series were slated a bit coz...they were marketed as bespoke systems for gamers and they were neither truely bespoke (maybe 2 options for each component) and not the best for gamers (non SLI (assuming SLI was useful) and not the best GPUs in them anyway)

Even though the AGP interface wasnt saturated before PCI-E came along, PCI-E, I think, HAS been saturated due to 512MB memory and dual-core. AGP wouldnt have been able to cope with that, so PCI-E has prob seen its major advantage. The other thing is the power requirement available through the PCI-E slot, so less cabling, but I doubt if many ppl would upgrade their mobo, GPU and maybe PSu for THAT benefit :)

Alf

Yank Upstart
Reaction score
1nteger said:
but I wouldn't be surprised if multi-core vid cards don't start to become more popular instead of having to buy two identical cards and keep tweaking drivers for different games.
The 3D1 by gigabyte is the first multicore video card out there, whats surprising is that even though is uses 6600GT core is get a higher score than 6800 U or the X850 XT PE in 3Dmark 05 (or at least on one wab site).
but right now they say that the card is extremely limited by the CPU even thought the used a AMD 4000+!

Ask a Question