dchp is not working in tcp/ip

computer was working fine and had to change the smtp on outlook express.
After rebooting computer can not connect to anything. I show local area
network connected put I keep getting the wrong ip address. when I do ipconfig
shows that autoconfig is running but is not showing correct address. I have
then tired putting a static ip address in using the ip of dsl modem as
gateway and still can not connect. Tired uninstalling network card put when
rebooted was there and still getting wrong ip address.

Gary Fose [MSFT]

Mark,

You didn't say what IP you found when you did an ipconfig or how the client is supposed to get
an DHCP assigned IP (from a router?).

If you connect directly to a dls/cable modem, normally you get or configure the IP assigned by
your ISP. If you are connecting your client to a router, then the router should assign your client
an IP address when the client boots up.

Changing the smtp location of OE wold not have any affect on this process.

Rebooting might if there was some type of process pending that was triggered by the reboot,
This could be a good process or could be bad from spyware/malware or some type of virus.

First step would be to tunr off the client machine. Recycle (power off/on) the router. Then boot
up the client machine. Do an ipconfig and see what IP you have. Does it have the one that
should be assigned from the router?

You may want to contact your ISP depending on what you find. Another thing you can do is to
reboot the client into Safe Mode with Networking and see if the behavior is still the same. I not,
then it is something that is loading in normal boot causing the problem. If so, then it could be
something to do with the hardware, such as the NIC or router or dsl/cable modem.

Hope this helps,
Gary
--------------------
'--'From: "=?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=" <[email protected]>
'--'Subject: dchp is not working in tcp/ip
'--'Date: Wed, 31 Aug 2005 15:12:02 -0700
'--'Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.networking
'--'
'--'computer was working fine and had to change the smtp on outlook express.
'--'After rebooting computer can not connect to anything. I show local area
'--'network connected put I keep getting the wrong ip address. when I do ipconfig
'--'shows that autoconfig is running but is not showing correct address. I have
'--'then tired putting a static ip address in using the ip of dsl modem as
'--'gateway and still can not connect. Tired uninstalling network card put when
'--'rebooted was there and still getting wrong ip address.
'--'

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. Use of included
script samples are subject to the terms specified at http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm

Note: For the benefit of the community-at-large, all responses to this message are best
directed to the newsgroup/thread from which they originated.