date and time misbehaving

G

each time I start up I get an error message saying: check time and date settings, and another warning saying : system CMOS checksum bad- default configuration used. I have changed the time/date through the setup, and through control nel, but it makes no difference. I also get an error messsage saying the time or date on your system is invalid - Please use the date/time applet in Control panel to preperly set your system time and date. I obey, then re-boot, but alas, it's still misbehaving.??

R

Rosanne

each time I start up I get an error message saying: check time and date settings, and another warning saying : system CMOS checksum bad- default configuration used. I have changed the time/date through the setup, and through control nel, but it makes no difference. I also get an error messsage saying the time or date on your system is invalid - Please use the date/time applet in Control panel to preperly set your system time and date. I obey, then re-boot, but alas, it's still misbehaving.??
My first thought is your CMOS battery... a dead or dying battery plays
havoc with your system time. But I'll sit back and see what the experts
say :)

~ Rosanne

J

Jupiter Jones [MVP]

Most likely a CMOS battery.
Check your motherboard/computer manual, they are usually easy to
replace.
Usually CR2032 battery about the size of a nickel.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

ACE said:
each time I start up I get an error message saying: check time and
date settings, and another warning saying : system CMOS checksum bad-
default configuration used. I have changed the time/date through the
setup, and through control nel, but it makes no difference. I also
get an error messsage saying the time or date on your system is
invalid - Please use the date/time applet in Control panel to preperly
set your system time and date. I obey, then re-boot, but alas, it's
still misbehaving.??