Database Freeware

Stuart

I have an Access database I created that I would like to share with several
of my friends who do not have Microsoft Office Access. Access can write
intermediate files in many formats to interface with freeware. I have a lot
of macros they will not be able to use, but just the basic data viewed in
various sorted orders would help them.

Recommendations?
Stuart//

spoon2001

Stuart said:
I have an Access database I created that I would like to share with
several of my friends who do not have Microsoft Office Access. Access
can write intermediate files in many formats to interface with
freeware. I have a lot of macros they will not be able to use, but
just the basic data viewed in various sorted orders would help them.

Recommendations?
Stuart//

how about this?
http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Servers/Database-Utils/MDB-View.shtml

it does mention a donation nag screen. Google on mdb viewer, you'll find
others.

Kalle Piirainen

Stuart said:
I have an Access database I created that I would like to share with several
of my friends who do not have Microsoft Office Access. Access can write
intermediate files in many formats to interface with freeware. I have a lot
of macros they will not be able to use, but just the basic data viewed in
various sorted orders would help them.

Recommendations?
Stuart//

I don't know which caliber solution you had in mind, but for simply
replacing Access the natural coice would be OpenOffice.org Base
<www.openoffice.org>. In addition to being a fully functional standalone
DB comparable to Access, Base can also function as a front end for a
server database.

On the meatier side, there's of course the classical client-server
-configuration. Main options there are the industry standard open source
champion MySQL <http://www.mysql.com/> and the runner up, which some
consider better allthough it's not as well known, PostgreSQL
<http://www.postgresql.org/>. With server DB you would of course need a
client or a front end application, as discussed before. In case you
would want to, at least MySQL can also be run on a single workstation.

In summary: Your options would be to get your friends install OO.o, and
why not try it yourself in the process, or set up a server with
Postgre-/MySQL and give them web access either with OO.o or some other
frontend. Perhaps Apache with PHP?

I hope this wasn't too confusing, if you don't know what client-server
configuration is, you don't need to worry about it. Just get yer OO.o
and I'd guess you'll be happy as a clam. :)

B. R. 'BeAr' Ederson

I have an Access database I created that I would like to share with several
of my friends who do not have Microsoft Office Access. Access can write
intermediate files in many formats to interface with freeware. I have a lot
of macros they will not be able to use, but just the basic data viewed in
various sorted orders would help them.

Create Reports from your data and export them to Snapshots. These can
be browsed with the free MS Snapshot Viewer:

www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b73df33f-6d74-423d-8274-8b7e6313edfb

If that's not an option, take a look at "MDB Viewer" and "MDB Browser
and Editor":

http://www.alexnolan.net/software/mdb_viewer_plus.htm
http://jerry_fugini.tripod.com/Index.html

Please note, that MDB Viewer does not show linked tables. (And no
queries other than those of "Selection" type). And you may need to
install or update an appropriate MDAC version (= free Microsoft
download). Access 2000 needs at least MDAC 2.5.

BeAr

Susan Bugher

Stuart said:
I have an Access database I created that I would like to share with several
of my friends who do not have Microsoft Office Access. Access can write
intermediate files in many formats to interface with freeware. I have a lot
of macros they will not be able to use, but just the basic data viewed in
various sorted orders would help them.

If you want something simple for tabular data take a look at these two
small apps. . .

Program: List² (ListSquared)
Author: Monkeyware Software
Install: (n.i.)
Ware: (Freeware)
http://www.bitride.com/freeware.php
v1.3 - March 31, 2006 (29 KB)
http://www.bitride.com/bin/listsquared_v1-3.zip

import or export tab-delimited text

Program: dbEdit
Author: (Paul Lutus )
Ware: Requestware (unsupported)
http://www.arachnoid.com/
http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/index.html
version 3.4 (10/31/2001) (511 KB)
http://www.arachnoid.com/dbedit/dbedit.exe

open .csv files - tab delimited files can be imported from the clipboard
- files can be sorted on the various columns.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware