damaged NTFS during install

Jan

Hello,

I had a NT4 workstation running smoothly on a machine with a 40 GB
Western Digital IDE drive, with 2 NTFS partitions.
The bios sees the correct size of the drive.
I wanted to install a fresh install of Windows 2000. I therefore
booted from the W2k disk, and during the install went through the
procedure to delete all the old NT4 NTFS partitions. I quit the
install, then rebooted.
Rebooted from the W2k disk, went
to create a new 20GB partition, but at the end of the format I get the
error that it can't format because the "disk may be damaged". I even
tried formatting a smaller partition, one that was 10 and one that was
7.5. Nothing works and always ends up with the "damaged disk" error.
I downloaded a setup utility from the Western Digital website, and it
gave me the options of reformatting for w2k. I did that, then
rebooted from the W2k disk and this time did not format, but rather
just installed. It bluescreened quickly.

What else should I try?
Thanks for any advice !

-Jan

Dave Patrick

You didn't mention the drive controller (possibly SCSI, or ultra DMA, or
ATA100, or raid, or serial ATA), but you may need to boot the Windows 2000
setup disks or CD-Rom and *F6* very early and very important (at setup is
inspecting your system) in the setup to prevent drive controller detection,
and select S to specify additional drivers. Then later you'll be prompted to
insert the manufacturer supplied Windows 2000 driver for your drive's
controller in drive "A"

If you wait and then S to specify additional drivers, then it may be too
late as Windows 2000 Setup at this point may have already assigned the
resources your drive's controller is wanting to use.

Microsoft MVP [Windows]
Microsoft Certified Professional [Windows 2000]
http://www.microsoft.com/protect

:
| Hello,
|
| I had a NT4 workstation running smoothly on a machine with a 40 GB
| Western Digital IDE drive, with 2 NTFS partitions.
| The bios sees the correct size of the drive.
| I wanted to install a fresh install of Windows 2000. I therefore
| booted from the W2k disk, and during the install went through the
| procedure to delete all the old NT4 NTFS partitions. I quit the
| install, then rebooted.
| Rebooted from the W2k disk, went
| to create a new 20GB partition, but at the end of the format I get the
| error that it can't format because the "disk may be damaged". I even
| tried formatting a smaller partition, one that was 10 and one that was
| 7.5. Nothing works and always ends up with the "damaged disk" error.
| I downloaded a setup utility from the Western Digital website, and it
| gave me the options of reformatting for w2k. I did that, then
| rebooted from the W2k disk and this time did not format, but rather
| just installed. It bluescreened quickly.
|
| What else should I try?
| Thanks for any advice !
|
| -Jan

philo

Jan said:
[...]

WD should have a diagnostic that you can run on the drive...
maybe the drive is bad

Jan

Ok, I did three things without it solving the problem:

1. I went to the Abit website (this board is an Abit KT7A)
and downloaded the IDE controller driver. I then put the files on a
floppy, and F6'd during the install and attempted to request the
Win2k install to use this new driver for the IDE controller.
Unfortunetly the setup comes back and says it can't find the
"txtsetup.oem" file. I looked through all the files on the floppy and
there is no txtsetup.oem file.
It appears the drivers I downloaded are only for installing after
Win2k is intalled, as I see only setup.exe files and accessory files
in the download.

2. I used a win98 boot floppy and fdisk'd the drive to delete all
partitions. Then I did an fdisk /MBR and rebooted. I still get "disk
is damaged" at the end of the NTFS format step.

3. I downloaded the only "utility" disk available on the western
digital website, and it has lots of tools for setting up a WD drive,
including formatting a disk. I could not find a utility for checking
the drive, although the hard drive information seemed to see the disk
correctly and nothing seemed unusual. Even using the format utility
from this diskette for NTFS, then attempting an install from the w2k
disk, I get blue screen shortly after it starts to copy files to the
hard drive.

I've done some checking on other groups, and a few have similar
problems as this, but I have not seen any solutions.

Any other suggestions?

-Jan

Dan Seur

Jan - I believe the WD diagnostic is dlgdiag11.zip
(1.52 MB) available on the WD website, dated September,
2003. It is a floppy image, self-booting. If it finds
something wrong, it may be able to repair the drive.
If it can't, it will advice you to contact WD tech
support, and give you (I think) most of the info they'll
need to arrange a warranty replacement for you. (It's
possible that you'll have to remove the drive to get
some serial or part number on a label.)

Go to www.westerndigital.com
go to the "support" scrolldown tab up top
click on "downloads library"
scroll down that page to "diagnostic utilities"
"digdiag11.zip" is the first entry of the 3 on that list.
You can do the download/unzip-to-floppy on any machine.

You may want to chat with a WD tech support person anyway.
It's possible there's some sort of small WD routine (or
something else) in the MBR of that drive that's getting
in the way. If so, their tech support will recognize
your situation quickly.

Jan

Thanks Dan, Philo, and Dave with your replies.

I tried some new things which also are not helping:

1. I found and downloaded and ran the WD diagnostic utility
on the WD drive. Almost immediately the program came back
with Smart Error code 0159. I wrote to WD with this error, but
I have not had a reply yet.

2. Next, I put in a spare Maxtor drive and tried a new Win2k
install, asking it to delete any old partitions, then creating
a new NTFS partition. Wouldn't you know it, the same problem
occurs, except this time the format process just hangs instead
of giving errors. I then downloaded the Maxtor diagnostic
drive utilities and am in the process of low level formatting
it with zeros. I'm beginning to think that maybe this Abit
KT7A non-raid board is finicky with something in the system.
Some other newsgroup postings refer to somewhat different problems
with this Abit Board, some of which are solved by either
disabling ACPI during Win2k (using F7 during the setup) or
installing without using Nvidia Geforce video cards (I'm using
a Geforce2MX). This is what I will try next, and will report
my findings (using the newly low-level formatted Maxtor drive).

-Jan

Jan

I've now done more things which have not helped the
problem:

I low-level formatted the drive with zeros using
the utility provided on the Maxtor diagnostic boot floppy.
Afterwards, the drive checks out just fine according to
the diagnostics. I'm using the most recent Abit bios, and I also
unplugged the power cord and reset the bios via jumper.
With the newly formatted Maxtor drive, a simple old PCI
video card (S3 I think) and no other PCI devices, I then
tried a new win2k install from CD, and pressed F7 during the
initial part where it tells you to press F6 (according to the
article located at
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q237/5/56.ASP

Unfortunately, when it gets to the point of formatting the
drive with NTFS, it just hangs at 0% formatted, even if I leave
it for half an hour. I then tried the same procedure, except
NOT pressing F7. The system still hangs at format.

It's interesting that this exact machine was running just fine
a week earlier with WindowsNT4.

Thanks for all your replies. Any other suggestions?

-Jan

Jan

Well,

I've just learned from Western Digital Tech support that
the Smart Error code 0159 output from the Western digital
diagnostic tools means the drive must be replaced. While
that sounds good, I still don't know why the Maxtor drive
does not work in this system.

-Jan

Dave Patrick

I'm thinking you still may need the controller driver.