D drive inaccessible

A common problem I believe - trying to download photos onto CD which I have
done many times before. Now it says there is no disc in drive. Did a
trouble shoot and it said to check in device manager. Did that and
everything was fine but now when I click on D drive on my desk top it says it
is inaccessible. Please help before I throw it out the window.

Terry Danmat_UK

Yes a common problem when the CD drive has packed up..Sorry. Device Manager
may very well report this drive as Working but this does not mean it is.
It does look VERY MUCH like you need to buy a new CD Rewriter or DVD RW
which are so cheap now.

--
Terry - Danmat_UK
www.danmat.com

Your up late! Thanks. Have only recently replaced the drive and other CD's
are still working fine in it. Do you need to format new CD's or anything???

Terry Danmat_UK

I'm up late? I suppose that depends in which part of the world I'm in
compared to you.

This is a little bit more complicated and will depend on what software (like
Nero or Roxio, etc.) you have installed. And if the software you have is
compatible with your new drive. Some software is locked to certain drives.
So if you bought a LG CD drive and it came bundles with say Nero you might
find that it won't work with any other make (or model) of drive. Let's go
through this. You may need new software. Was your new drive supplied with
any? If so uninstall the old and install the new.

1) Although the replacement drive is new there could still be a fault but
let's ignore that.(But keep in mind)
2) Sorry but I do not know you so please forgive this one. You have replaced
the drive with a CD-Writer and not CD-ROM drive?
3) CD's need formatting? Yes and No. Older software did need to do this with
CD-R to allow you to treat it as you would a floppy. All the newer software,
as far as I know, now does this "on-the-fly". With CD-RW's this is a
different matter, some come pre-formatted and others don't. So it depends.
4) Regardless, Windows XP will detect a blank disk. Just check this option
is not switched off. Go into My Computer, right-click the CD drive in
question, left-click properties. Select the Autoplay Tab, from the drop box
choose Blank Disk, make sure the option to "prompt each time..." is checked
and click Apply (if pos) and OK.
So when you insert a blank CD-R , after a few seconds, Windows will ask you
what to do with the disk. If it doesn't then we go back to the possibility
of the drive being faulty.

If you need more help, please could you tell me what software you have
installed, if any, for creating disks. Also, why did you change the drive?
Because you had the same problem as you are experiencing now? It all helps.

Regards