Cutting a Window in my side panel, and pc modding

Reaction score
hiya

ive gone into this new style of thinking

i want to mod my pc case, i want to get some cathde tubes, coupla new lited cables and its
all done.

the main problem is that I have a Chiftech FULL tower case with a removable side panel.
I need a window in this. i know that i can get a replaceble side panel. but this what would i do with my current side panel?

does anyone have any suggestions about how or where i could get a window put in? im thinking of cutting a hole myself and going to a double glazers to install a window? cheaper or what? what do u think?

your thoughts on this idea please
thanks

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
It would be cheaper to do yourself, its not the most difficult job in the world!

You can get the whole window kits from Cooler Cases , he a freindly and helpful guy that runs that, and the delivery is always good.

Reaction score
cheers had a look at the site. im sure they all talk about the Window, just fitting the window.

cutting the hole is not mentioned. will one of these window kits allow me to cut a hole? dont think so.
thinking of cutting a hole myself and going down a window shop to fit in a window..

what u rekon?

Reaction score
if you want to do it yourself i would assume you need a steady hand, a window kit and a jigsaw!

your best off getting the ready made side panel so if things went tits up you would have a side on your case at least!

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
As the others say, you're best off buying the modded side panel.

But... if you decide to do it yourself, a glazier would be unlikely to do the job, imo. The window is made of perspex and is usually held in place with rivets. I suppose you could use an epoxy resin such as araldite to secure it, it would look neater. Secure window in place with gaffa tape or similar until araldite cures.

You'll also have to consider cutting the window to shape if your supplier won't/can't cut it for you.

As for cutting the hole, you'll need either a jigsaw with a good metal cutting blade or a tool called a dremel. The dremel is better and easy to use, I believe Argos actually stock one or do a Google.

When cutting the hole for the window, it would probably be best to get a friend to hold it flat and firm for you on a workmate or similar, whilst you do the cutting. Finish off with a fine file.

One adavantage of fitting your own window is you can have any old shape you like, it doesn't have to be square or oblong.

But think of the cost of all the tools and materials you'll need, not to mention the agro in actually doing the mod, then weigh that up against buying a ready made case side.

Reaction score
side panels usually are around the £20 mark.

That or buy all the tools and do all that work that could go tits up

i know which option id take.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
In fact, it's £26.05 + p & p from Overclock, which would make it a little over thirty quid.

I had to pay over £40.00 for my Lian Li PC61 windowed side panel, so think yerself lucky :p

Attachments

• Side panel.jpg
    Side panel.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 1,112
Reaction score
If you get a window kit you normally get a template with it. Stick the tempate to your panel and then dremel or jigsaw along the outline.

You then fit rubber "lock" tubing around the cut, included in the kit, and push the perspex sheet, included in the kit, into that, securing it in place.

Because the cut has a rubber lock seal around it, you don't need to be perfect at cutting the side panel out, the cut wont be visible after the job is done.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
£40 squids ... :D you can buy a new case for the same price. :p

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Drive bays: 4x5.25",2x3.5",4x3.5"
Internal fan: 2 two ball bearing fans included
M/B type: ATX & Pentium 4 (MAX SIZE: 12"x9.6")
Front panel connectors: USB2.0 + Firewire + Audio
PSU: 450W DUAL Fan
Other: See Through Window Side + Coloured LED Fan
[/font]

Attachments

• zorro case.jpg
    zorro case.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 3,126

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
psd99 said:
cheers had a look at the site. im sure they all talk about the Window, just fitting the window.

cutting the hole is not mentioned. will one of these window kits allow me to cut a hole? dont think so.
thinking of cutting a hole myself and going down a window shop to fit in a window..

what u rekon?
If your gonna do it, you might aswell do it yourself. Its extrememly easy if you think about it. All you do is get the window, place it on your side panel, draw a line around it, drill a pilot hole to let the jigsaw blade through and just jig saw it. Then all you do is put the rubber trim on and then the window in. The job is easily do-able within 30 mins!

Side panels are a rip off, and so is paying someone else to do it. Dont be scared, just unleash the "Handy Andy" inside of you.

Reaction score
nice idea.............

i have got a FULL chiftech Tower....its one of those massive things. my mate got it for me i think he spent near 150 quid. but this was when it was brand brand new.

so replacing the full tower case is a definate no no........... looking at everyones thoughts................. buying just a full tower side panel with a window in it sounds like a good idea... been looking cant seem to find any?

this diy stuff just seems like a mission to much for me.. i like the idea of having my own window shape....this would be unique............but if i get it wrong it wont look good at all!!!

Reaction score
Now I know this is an OLD post, and I'm sure its been resolved by now. But any ways, I moded my first computer my self. It was an HP a430n. I bout a mod kit which came with the rounded rectangle window, a green CC, and green 80mm led fan and a decent fan grill, and some molded tubing with a locking thread. Now, to cut the whole in the case I took a pen and a washer, I layed the window on the case where I wanted it. I put the washer next to the clear window and traced it, which made the hole about .5cm bigger all around. This makes room for the tubing. No to cut the hole I used a drill to get started. Now that I hade a 1/2" starting hole, the kit came with "clippers" to cut the hole. The clippers are basically metal nail clippers. It was a very , very slow process, clipping less than 1cm at a time. Took me about two days, at 3hour sets(becasue my hand was KILLING me). I think in my case it was a bit hard to cut the metal because it was steel, and had a very thick powder coat paint on it that was supposed to be scratch resistent. If I had to do it again, I'd go to HOME DEPOT or any other hardware store and have them cut the hole for me. That would cost about $5.00 us and it would be a perfect hole. Just wanted to mention this to show that I have modded old school , so did not feel guilty buying my next pre windowed case.

Last edited:

Ask a Question