Event ID: 680
Date: 2/13/2004
Time: 11:20:04 AM
User: NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Computer: <myhostname>
Logon attempt by: MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0
Logon account: <myaccountname>
Source Workstation: <myhostname>
Error Code: 0xC000006A

Hmm, what might be "MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0"?

Wesley Vogel

*Vanguard*

Do a web search for:
MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

Windows XP records multiple logon audit events when the welcome screen is
enabled?
http://www.jsiinc.com/subj/tip4700/rh4716.htm

Event ID: 680
If you don't want these events.............
=============
Auditing User Authentication
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...ticles/q174/0/73.asp&NoWebContent=1#appliesto

Using Basic Authentication to Generate Kerberos Tokens
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q287537#appliesto

*Vanguard*

"Wesley Vogel" said in news:Wu6_b.243208$U%5.1554860@attbi_s03:
*Vanguard*

Do a web search for:
MICROSOFT_AUTHENTICATION_PACKAGE_V1_0

Windows XP records multiple logon audit events when the welcome
screen is enabled?
http://www.jsiinc.com/subj/tip4700/rh4716.htm
<snip>

Thanks for the link. Don't know why I missed it in a Google search.
Remember not finding it at Microsoft's support site. I got rid of the
Welcome screen which this article says is the culprit. The datestamp of the
audit failure was 10 days ago and that might've been when I switched to the
classic login screen. When you're fixing so much crap that Microsoft did in
Windows XP, it's hard to remember when you flushed a particular turd. I was
getting this error every day or two before the last one recorded 10 days
ago. No more have shown up in the last 10 days, so it's likely the result
of me dumping the Welcome screen and reverting to the classic login screen.
Just more proof Windows isn't really a multi-user OS. By the time Microsoft
figures out how to build a multi-user OS (without additional software sold
separately), it'll probably be called Winix.

Wesley Vogel

*Vanguard*

It *is* hard to remember what things have been changed.

Windex maybe. Wait, that names taken. :blush:)

Glad it's settled.
Keep having fun!