Crunching Stats Calculator

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I still can't figure out how to parse the WCG stats automatically to reduce the workload for compiling stats, so I wondered if an excel file that does most of the work would be any use?

I should be able to make it create the forum posts (ready to copy+paste) from the table on this page.

Would that be any use to you Mucks/Ady/V_R - or is it about the same as the spreadsheet that mucks uses at the moment?

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
An excel file would be of use to me as I'm not good at formating excel spreadsheets so have to do it manually at the moment :blush:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, I'll work on this tomorrow between work :thumb:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Thanks Ian :thumb:

...off to bed now - got to be up at 4.30am to do the stats before I leave for work :eek:

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Ian - using the Free-DC stats is not going to work I think - yesterday they updated at 10.45 CDT which is 4.45pm our time, which is too late.

Is it possible to do a simple spreadsheet where I manually input the updated figures using the Points Generated stats at WCG with a column automatically calculating the points difference since the day before?? http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/team/viewTeamMemberDetail.do?sort=points&teamId=3CJW57FQP1

Must go to work now Ian - see you this evening :thumb:

Last edited:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Excel sheet would be cool.

Ian, Dunno if this will help, but Tom over at BBT has excel sheet that gets the data automatically, then he just takes a screen print and posts the pic....Have a look at this thread here Maybe it will help, i dunno but seems like a good way to do it.

Is that any help? :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I have a spreadsheet, not Excel, I use OpenOffice ... it is a little basic but I don't need a calculator. ;)

I have been looking at Google to store the database and allow access by certain parties ... Ady, V_R and whoever ... but it ain't ready for prime-time use ... BETA

Those that have 'access' can alter the data and others can be allowed to view only, still need to manually input the data.

Free-DC have been having problems and have been very spasmodic ... sorry to say but I wouldn't use their stats for any accuracy.

The problem with my database is if you miss a day, then all the stats are out for the next day, it has to be kept uptodate everyday ... Anybody want a coppy of my database just ask, OOo is free & if you want an Excell copy, I suppose I could export it to that format. :p

user.gif

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
OK, I'll have to have a think on how best to do this then - I think I have an idea that can automate it almost completely in Excel (but would need a little new work with each new cruncher).

I'll see if I can get it finished sometime tonight once I'm back from work :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
This is as far as I've got with Excel - as I just can't figure out if it is possible to automatically create the points banding that is usually done in the 2nd post. Are there any Excel macro wizards that know if this is possible to do, as if it is I'll see if I can use the Excel router (otherwise I'll have to use PHP).

I'm guessing I might be able to use conditionals to say that if "user x" returned between 1000-2000 points to put their name in a certain cell, all the way up to 20k per day say. Is this possible to do?

I've uploaded the Excel file incase anyone wants to take a peek (its based on the BBT one V_R posted!) - it will connect to DC-Stats (for the moment, till I can figure out how to use WCG for daily returns). The WCG.xls.txt needs to be renamed to WCG.xls to work.

Attachments

• WCG.xls.txt
    35 KB · Views: 172

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Looks good Ian :cool:

Can't help with the Excel macro's I'm afraid - I can barely input data into cells :D

muckshifter

Reaction score
Ian, great work but ... you ain't gonna like this ... OpenOffice can directly import the data straight from WCG's Team members details ... you can even set it to update every four hours.

:blush:

I have also been playing ... ;)

Attachments

• Copy of WCG 2006 Stats TEST.ods.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 175

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
I get a load of gobbledegook when I try to open that Mucks - do I need to have OpenOffice?

muckshifter

Reaction score
Adywebb said:
I get a load of gobbledegook when I try to open that Mucks - do I need to have OpenOffice?
Probably, I did just add the .TXT on the end so if anyone does use OOo just drop the txt bit & let me know if it opens.

I do know OOo can open Excel sheets. :p

It ain't as pretty as Ian's creation, but all I did was "import" from the URL ... I'll work on the finer points at some time.

It was my own silly fault for not looking into how OOo can import data from an outside source ... it does use XML after all.

I haven't worked with Excel for some time now, should have looked into this sooner. :blush:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Works ok in OO here, looks good mucks. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
muckshifter said:
Ian, great work but ... you ain't gonna like this ... OpenOffice can directly import the data straight from WCG's Team members details ... you can even set it to update every four hours.

:blush:

I have also been playing ... ;)
Ah yes, thats what the Excel sheet does too - but it probably just looks like pasted data in OO because I'm not sure if it opens the URL triggers. It's basically the same thing, but I've tried to make it replicate your post formatting on a couple of the sheets - it's not much use yet though unless I can figure out how to make the conditionals work
laughingsmiley.gif

muckshifter

Reaction score
V_R said:
Works ok in OO here, looks good mucks. :thumb:
Thanks, but all I did was press the import button ... :blush:

I am going to have a 'play' with this though ... may take a week or two. :D

Ian, don't let me stop you if you wanna carry on. :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
The Excel sheet is now taking form - it can automate almost everything the current stats show. The formatting is a bit screwy at the moment (I'm posting loads of tests in a hidden test forum), but I'm working on it.

I'm just nipping to the shops in a bit and then some lunch, but I'm hoping to have this all sorted by tonight :D This should greatly reduce the workload on producing the stats (I hope anyway), and I can make further tweaks once it has been tested.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Ian said:
The Excel sheet is now taking form - it can automate almost everything the current stats show. The formatting is a bit screwy at the moment (I'm posting loads of tests in a hidden test forum), but I'm working on it.

I'm just nipping to the shops in a bit and then some lunch, but I'm hoping to have this all sorted by tonight
biggrin.gif
This should greatly reduce the workload on producing the stats (I hope anyway), and I can make further tweaks once it has been tested.

Thats why you have 'Rocket Scientist' below your name and the rest of us dont! :D

Nice one Ian that sounds fantastic, Well done mate.
bowdown.gif

Ask a Question