Crunching, Me & Life

Reaction score
Sorry if for not being round much recently but work seems to get in the way a lot.
Have to travel a bit & stay away from home at short notice.
Did wonder about Crunching and why I do it.
Just feel at times that my 1 or 2 WCG Units a day is so small compared to Ady, Lone Wolf and others.
But read other comments on Crunching & realised I do enjoy it & being apart of the PCReview II Team.

Just though I would share my thoughts with you all.

And don't forget 27th July seems a long way away, but it’s only 98 day’s to go.:D

Reaction score
I feel like that sometimes too, but I guess every little helps.

Soon I'll have another PC up anyway, so I think 1000 a day is a respectable amount.

Imagine if nobody except Ady and Wolf crunched? Wouldn't have nearly as many points.

Not taking anything away of course, as they do a stunning job
bowdown.gif

Adywebb

Growing old....
Reaction score
Hey feckit - its good to share your thoughts mate, and they are always welcome :)

Everyone on the Team is valued equally regardless, we are a family here both with crunching and the forum, no one has more right to an opinion than any other and we always respect that, which is why we never have upheaval and arguements like some other forums.

Anything someone contributes to the crunching team is welcome, and I always say to folks that are worried that they don't contribute enough - remember it only takes 1 crunched result to make that breakthough to a cure - and it could be yours
nod.gif

Work and family life should always come first mate - crunch as and when you can - you will always be valued here :thumb:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
I think this is one of the reasons our team has a great spirit about it, as it doesn't matter if you do 100 points per week or 50,000 a day they are all important. As Tesco say, every little bit helps ;)

Adywebb said:
Work and family life should always come first mate - crunch as and when you can - you will always be valued here

:nod: :thumb:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Life, the Universe and everything

300 people returning one result a day contribute as much as one person contributing 300 results a day.

Fact.

It's all good and it all counts :)

And if it still gets you down drink lots of beer until you fall over - you know it makes sense :thumb:

Rush

Cool Cruncher
Reaction score
Chin up Feckit.....Smile ...look up to the cosmos at night and ask the almighty the question that will end all sadness for you...

Homer is real ain`t he ????? :D

Spezi

Wolf Cruncher
Reaction score
Every contribution from each member strengthens the team as a whole feckit and no one should feel inferior.

We each do what we can and to be honest no matter what we engage in there will always be someone who has a newer one, a bigger one, or more of them. :D

The person who runs one machine might well own the machine that crunches the magic work unit that makes a fantastic breakthrough.

Another thing to consider is team spirit is comprised of the individual not his hardware or how much crunching the person can do.

I enjoy camraderie and it is the enthusiasm of my team mates that keeps me focused and fuels the fire that keeps me involved.

Without team mates the fire dwindles and often goes out ergo everyone counts. ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
And now, a word from our sponsors ...

feckit, come here, have a seat ... what's troubling you ?

Life ? the Universe ? everything ? ... the answer is 42 (or is it 26 ?) :nod:

The PCReview Crew II is a Team ... a Team of individuals who make up the collective ... we will assimilate the world and move on to the universe.

Did you not know ? it was your contributions to the Team that put us over the 25 million mark ... yep, if it wasn't for you we would not be a Team for those ahead of us to watch out for. :D

Oh, and it's your turn to be Barman tonight ... have a Genius on the counter for me for 8oclock would you please. :thumb:

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
yes, I wondered if my little bit was really making a difference now that my daughter is using the (laptop) adapter for her lappy almost all of the time that I'm not (her one exploded rather dramatically) so I'm not crunching much anymore.
But, in the end, we can never know just which unit will be the one that brings a cure, & every single negative result means years of research & funds that aren't wasted in a laboratory somewhere to find out that something doesn't work. Every unit matters. & even though I don't get much crunching done these days, one thing that I learned years ago, "just because I can't do it all, is no excuse not to do what I can".
And the whole esscence of grid computing is that it's thousands of people, like you & me & all of us, who each do what we can, wether it's lots or little, who add up into a computing force that it would be impossible for any university or scientific institution to fund or maintain. We make a difference, we might never see it directly, but what we do saves lives. That's something to be proud of ;)

& yes, Homer is real... Isn't he? :p

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
This thread has such a feel-good factor about it
nod.gif
I began to crunch only recently, but it's something that I already feel passionate about. As I see it, if absolutely everyone was returning oodles and oodles of points, then it might seem too daunting for those of us who have limited computing power, to even give it a go. That would be a pity, because once you begin, the "limitations" really don't matter at all, participation is what really counts. That, and the wonderful community spirit which exists in PCReview. :thumb: :D

cirianz

Chatter Box
Reaction score
Yes, this really is a group of very special people here at PCreview. A degree of acceptance & tolerance here that I've never found on any other forum & it is a privilege to be a part of it :nod:
Cheers everyone :nod:
It is an honour to know you all
& to be a part of this team :)
crunch crunch crunch ;):thumb:

Ask a Question