CPU usage at 100% at random times

G

My CPU runs at 100% at very random times. For example, sometimes I will click on Internet Explorer and nothing will happen. Same thing with Solitaire, Windows Media Player, Spider . . . nothing. It will run some 16-bit programs I have installed. I wait for about five minutes and then suddenly everything I have clicked on opens. If I can get to Task Manager (which is rare) it tells me that my CPU usage is 100%, but I have a 1.8Ghz processor, 480MB RAM, and I don't have many nonstandard applications running in the background. Any suggestions?

G

-----Original Message-----
My CPU runs at 100% at very random times. For example,
sometimes I will click on Internet Explorer and nothing
will happen. Same thing with Solitaire, Windows Media
Player, Spider . . . nothing. It will run some 16-bit
programs I have installed. I wait for about five minutes
and then suddenly everything I have clicked on opens. If
I can get to Task Manager (which is rare) it tells me
that my CPU usage is 100%, but I have a 1.8Ghz processor,
480MB RAM, and I don't have many nonstandard applications
running in the background. Any suggestions?
In task man. what is using the cpu(under the processes
colume)?

G

Gerry Cornell

Start by downloading Adaware and / or update Reference file from http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/
and use it to remove parasites.

FWIW I usually have anything from 28 to 32 processes running. Task Manager is useful but you could look at another freeware utility Process Explorer, which provides similar information but adds that little bit extra towards seeing what the running processes represent. For further information about Process Explorer see here:

http://www.sysinternals.com/ntw2k/freeware/procexp.shtml

You may be able to prune the number of running processes by examining whether the Applications ( Programmes ) generating the running processes need to run continuously in the background or can be changed so that they start on demand. Wherever possible make changes with the programme.

A lot of processes are related to Windows XP Services -Start, Administrative Tools, Services. You should find others relating to your anti-virus and firewall.

--

~~~~~~

Hope this helps.

Gerry
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
FCA
(e-mail address removed)
Stourport, Worcs, England
Enquire, plan and execute.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Please tell the newsgroup how any
suggested solution worked for you.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

G

i have exactly the same problem, when i look in task
manager it says explorer is using 100% cpu and about
200Mb of memory, not allowing any other stuff to open up
for a considerable time......any help ??

Ask a Question