CPU Temps?

Reaction score
does any one know what temps an AMD 64 3400+ should run at idle? i have a CPU temp of 54deg C and a mobo/system temp of 34deg C.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
That may seem high ... but your motherboard may not be giving you a correct reading.

What MB are you using?

An Example
;)

Reaction score
chaintech ZNF3-250, Its the same in BIOS as it is in the digi doc software i have, its confusing.

Reefsmoka

Cookie Monster
Reaction score
The temprature gauge on your motherboard or beneath your CPU probably isnt 100% accurate, it could easily be out by 10c maybe more. But if your using the stock AMD fan, thats probably the reason. The coolers that come from the processor manafacturer are no frills, just bog standard, not very good, coolers. They do the job, not great, but not bad either.

You should think about upgrading to a solid copper cooler like the Thermalright SP-94, or the aluminium monster which is the Thermalright XP-120.

Also, if you havent got any case fans, maybe you should invest in some, so you get some sort of air flow going through your case. I have the side of my pc case off 24/7 , yes its dusty, but its also alot cooler ;).

pikakilla

Proud Cruncher!
Reaction score
my 3500 runs about 52-55
and mymotherboard 38-43 and thats using a stock cooler but with 2 x 120mm case fans
so your not far off, as long as shes stable!
these temps are at nearly full load.
idle its 48-50 and my m/board 35

Reaction score
Some guy on the AMD site rekons i need to flash my BIOS. Thing is tho, if these temps are correct, how can i overclock without frying everything? Seems daft to spend a fortune on watercooling for not alot of overclocking gain.

Reaction score
Reefsmoka said:
The temprature gauge on your motherboard or beneath your CPU probably isnt 100% accurate, it could easily be out by 10c maybe more. But if your using the stock AMD fan, thats probably the reason. The coolers that come from the processor manafacturer are no frills, just bog standard, not very good, coolers. They do the job, not great, but not bad either.

You should think about upgrading to a solid copper cooler like the Thermalright SP-94, or the aluminium monster which is the Thermalright XP-120.

Also, if you havent got any case fans, maybe you should invest in some, so you get some sort of air flow going through your case. I have the side of my pc case off 24/7 , yes its dusty, but its also alot cooler ;).
I tried a Cooler Master Hyper 6 cooler, it looked the nutts but was to big and hit a few things round the socket. so when i have figured out this heat problem im getting an astek water cooling set up.

Reaction score
the temp for stock cooling on that processor isnt bad. but you will want to invest in some box fans. or a better circulation of air. as long as you dont start hitting over 65 degrees celcius then your fine. but remember, the hotter it is, the slower it will run. I almost always upgrade the cpu fan when building a 64-bit processor. and always sell them on more box cooling. frying your mobo isnt cheap or fun.

Ask a Question